Tranny oil

tayto94

Hi all,

Giving the 250 a good service.dropped the transmission oil thereabd just under 200 ml came out . . . . I changed it about 6 months or so ago and put in 450 ml, what would be the norm you would get out when dropping the oil ??? There is no leaks on cases or has there ever been.

I have been getting some clicking noises recently when dropping gears that go in sync with the engine noise , just put new chain and sprockets on and was wanting to rule that out but could it be something to do with the oil situation?

Cheers all

SHOULD BE 450 IN/ 450 OUT!

So if you are lot leaking it or blowing it out the vent, then it is getting past the crank seals and being ingested. :rolleyes:

Hmm. .... Not good I suppose.so what's the best course of action? Split the cases and see if the lack of oil has done any damage? And order new crankseals . What would cause the crank seals to go?

if you are 100% sure you dont have an oil leak it has to be the o/s crank seal. you dont have to split the engine you can do it in place. remove clutch case and crank gear.there you will get into the seal and just lever it out.

The basic theory here is that the seals degrade prematurely due to the alcohol laced fuels.

There is a test one can do, which may or may nor reveal anything.

One can install a small clear hose on the trans vent line outlet below the carb inlet. With the bike running at operating temps, submerge the hose end in a cup ov water. It should niether suck water up the hose nor blow air out. If so, this vacume/pressure is coming from the crank area via the seals. There may also be some unstable idle conditions associated with this.

The other side probably needs to go as well! Splatshop offers some Viton(resistant)seals at a small premimum cost. Worth it in my opinion! :thumbup: