Riding a trials bike like a dirt bike?

sweersz

Would there be any harm in riding a trials bike as if it was a dirt bike? I'm talking hanging out in 5th gear going 30mph and such on flat terrain. I know they are built for going over obstacles and uphill but would just cruising on them in the dirt do anything bad overtime?

Edited by sweersz

There are some limitations for riding a trials bike fast. Yes on flattish ground generally OK but in spirited mountainous riding if you try and go downhill fast for too long, the (disc) brakes will overheat. In fast muddy terrain watch for blinding of the radiator air inlet

And perhaps the greatest obstacle is the seating position and the CoG. At speed there are advantages to planting your bum on/into the bike (significantly lower centre of gravity than standing on the pegs of a trials bike at speed) and powering/sliding your way around corners. Even downhill pushbikes use a seat to help the rider muscle the bike around a turn or a slide. And then of course, there are the tyres and low pressures!

But speed can be fun, so buy a kidney belt, a Buttrest - www.buttrest.co.uk - and report back.

Edited by Ross Brown

I find "Hanging out" is easier while standing up on a trials bike. Indeed, while I might sit down to ride a trials bike on "fast" going at a medium pace, once I start going fast I stand up as it's easier to get it round the corners. I lean the bike rather than my body and my bike together as one would on a road bike.

Given that, my feeling is that, by standing up, the centre of gravity of what is being leant is actually lowered as the bodyweight acts through the footrests.

Cue discussion on "ye cannae change the Laws O' Physics Captain".

Edited by 2/4

And the minor detail of steep fork angle along with soft suspension and a trials bike can get quite entertaining at speed ... Although they can be a blast on tight single track trails ,at times you can embarrass your moto x and enduro buddies :thumbup:

Glenn B)

I have helped as a marshall at enduro events on a TXT 250, Raga 300 and soon my Beta 200. It is no problem as on the tricky bits it is a walk in the park compared to riding an enduro bike. The drawback is long fast bit of open going is scary when other riders come flapping past. Golden rule is go your own way. The faster guys will find a way round - you'll also be picking them off the floor at the next hill.

And perhaps the greatest obstacle is the seating position and the CoG. At speed there are advantages to planting your bum on/into the bike (significantly lower centre of gravity than standing on the pegs of a trials bike at speed) and powering/sliding your way around corners. Even downhill pushbikes use a seat to help the rider muscle the bike around a turn or a slide. And then of course, there are the tyres and low pressures!

But speed can be fun, so buy a kidney belt, a Buttrest - www.buttrest.co.uk - and report back.

Er no. C of G is lower if stood on the pegs. you sit to corner because you need to load the front. The low pressures,lack of side nobbles and squidgy suspension make it unsuitable for high speed but then it is horses for courses.

Why concider using a trials bike for anything other than what its designed for?

Coming from a mountain biking background (DH and free-riding) a trials bike is much closer to that feeling than a grosser is. Trials bikes are like the ultimate downhill mtn bike IMO...

Coming from a mountain biking background (DH and free-riding) a trials bike is much closer to that feeling than a grosser is. Trials bikes are like the ultimate downhill mtn bike IMO...

You would have to do alot of mods if you were going a decent speed!

the centre of gravity is all wrong, the suspension has no high speed damping, tyre profile is too high, steering angle too short, steering too high, seat too low for throwing you weight, it would be the worst downhill tool ever lol :guinness:

it would be great fun though and id love a go!

• 2 weeks later...

You would have to do alot of mods if you were going a decent speed!

the centre of gravity is all wrong, the suspension has no high speed damping, tyre profile is too high, steering angle too short, steering too high, seat too low for throwing you weight, it would be the worst downhill tool ever lol :guinness:

it would be great fun though and id love a go!

Well there's nothing else available on the market that has the feel a lot of us are looking for ( a mtn bike with motor). Take any current trials bike: tweak the suspension, add a coupe of teeth up front and you have a very capable woods weapon; uphill or down.

• 2 weeks later...