Confused about rev3 spark plugs

benwall

Ok so i have a 2007 250 Rev3 and im not sure what spark plug to put in it as when i brought it had the wrong one in, so i have looked on the beta website and it says to use the BP5ES also i have looked on the NGK website and they say to use the BR7ES also i have looked on ebay and the ones that are sold as beta rev3 250 07 are BP7ES

so at the minute im not quite sure which one to get as Beta tell me one thing and ngk tell me another, im edgeing towards the beta one but i read on the fourm that some pepole are using the BR7ES in there rev3's (not beta recomended)

so which one should i go for?

Thanks

The number in the plug identification code refers to the heat range of the plug.

In Italy where the bikes are made, nearer to the equator= climate hotter, correct plug 7

In the UK where you are using the bike, nearer to the North Pole= climate colder, correct plug 5

Simples

• 2 weeks later...

• 11 years later...
On 10/20/2011 at 10:08 AM, jezza said:

The number in the plug identification code refers to the heat range of the plug.

In Italy where the bikes are made, nearer to the equator= climate hotter, correct plug 7

In the UK where you are using the bike, nearer to the North Pole= climate colder, correct plug 5

Simples

Thanks for putting that straight 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

There’s endless debate about copper core/iridium/projected tip variants. They all work and I have yet to see any advantage one over the other with only one suspected fouled plug in the last 20 years. The main variable is heat range and that is something that only your engine can tell you if it’s correct because it’s going to be affected by oil mixture, air density, fuel/air mixture, style of riding…. So if your BR5ES looks good when you eyeball it then it’s all good. If it looks hot then drop to the BR7ES. Despite few changes to the fundamentals of their engines Beta have recommended different variations of plugs usually in the NGK 7 heat range with the latest being the ridiculously priced NGK IR GR7CI-8 which is basically a BR7EIX for twice the price. Just like oils the recommended plug has as much to do with sponsorship as performance. I think the newest iridium plug recommendation is emissions based though as it’s not uncommon now for “off road” bikes to come with sealed carburetors and security screws on manifolds and such. Even the EVOs have different jetting now for “homologation”.