Seeley Tl 200 E,how good/bad are them?

quickmick25

Any of these older 4 strokes tend to be a bit jerky just as you open the throttle, can shove the front wheel out in tight turns. Look out for camshaft wear, often evidenced by misfire at higher revs. Rest of the bike , judge condition as you see it.

cheers

Both bikes steer completely diferent, not sure which is best as I use the TLR all of the time.

The Seeley has closer trials gear ratio's and is built with better cycle parts.

I would go for the Seeley if it is the right price.

Surprised with your comment about price as I'd have thought you'd have found a better TLR than a Seeley for the same money.

Seeley is very light on the front and isn't as planted as the TLR in turns. Uphill turns and cambers will be eventful until you get used to it as the front rears up very easily. Similar story if you come to a halt uphill, getting going again without the front rearing up is difficult, although TLR is similar in that situation. I had a Seeley once and fitted an RTL motor but it was hopeless, the motor had too much torque for the light front end.

Seeley front forks, being Marzocchi, are much better than the Honda forks which are soft in springing and damping, although depends how hard you are going to work it as to whether that matters. Rear end on the TLR probably works better than the Seeley.

Engine performance is very similar really, TLR is maybe a little livelier as it doesn't have the extra crank weights that the Seeley has. Gear ratios as mentioned, are better on the Seeley but the TLR ratios are perfectly adequate with right spprocket combination, although you'd never go beyond 2nd in a section realistically.

Personally I'd go with the TLR and you should be able to get a good one for less than the price of a good Seeley - they seem to hold the money more as a collector's bike than a rider.

Edited by Woody

I've had both and you cant compare them. I worked for Honda Uk technical throughout that period, 78/87. Unlike the TLR250, which was a proper trials bike. The TLR200 was originally designed and marketed as a road/trail bike,with lights indicators and internal gearing which isn't ideal,even once you gear down externally for trials.Steering head angle is more trail than trials.

A proper Seeley has an RS200 motor which is totally different to ride. Mine pulls cleanly from nothing without any coughing or popping and a frame that will turn on a sixpence. Don't get me wrong, the TLR is a great clubman bike with a few mods. There were thousands of TLR200's built, but only 200 Seeleys,which,as they were handbuilt,cost a fortune new.

If you have the chance of a Seeley, buy it. As they are so rare,their value will always remain high and are fantastic to ride.

Thanks for your help!

So you think that the Seeley isn't a bad bike and a good investment,that's what i'm looking for.For the moment i'm riding a stock TY 175,it seems the Seeley will be as funny to drive and also being a capable bike.

I could get this Seeley for 2500 GBP.The bike is in very good condition,unrestored and has still his rare exhaust silencer.

The only negative point is,that it dont has registration papers,but i don't need them...

I couldn't find a good TLR at this price here on the continent.I just wrote a email to the twinshockshop,they also have some nice Honda's for sale,but not under 3000GBP and i have to transport the bike to Europe.

Jeff