'Newby' looking for advice

lacey9

Hi guys,

I'll try and keep this as concise as possible - I've recently packed in racing motocross after racing for 25 years. I've always been a casual fan of trials and after much deliberation I've decided that it's something I would really like to try my hand at. As a result I'm seeking some info and I'm hoping you may be able to help.

1) I'm based in Northants, generally speaking what is the competition scene like in and around this area? I'm obviously prepared to travel as far as required but generally is the Trials scene strong in the Midlands, South East area?

2) I've raced MX with the AMCA for many years but I get the impression that Trials are not well supported by the AMCA in terms of events. I'm I right and would the ACU be a better option for competitions?

3) As a complete Trial Novice, do events cater to riders who are just finding their feet or am I just going to have to jump in at the deep end and hope for the best?

4) In terms of practice what do most of you guys do? Are there good spots for practice in or around the Northants/Midlands areas? Any general advice on getting to grip with the bike in terms of practice?

5) Bike choice. I have a budget up to

Hiya,

Best thing you can do is pop along to the Nene Valley trial this Sunday, See Link below for directions..

http://www.nenevalleytrials.co.uk/

Have a chat with Paul from Cambs Trial Centre who will have his stand with bits for sale and just chat to all... Everyone will help. Look at the sections and see what bikes you like.

90% trials bikes are 2 stroke.

ACU.

Its also well worth looking at the Dabbers Club (www.dabberstrialsclub.co.uk). They are an AMCA club (one of the few in this area) that caters specifically for beginners and riders of older bikes. They tend to run events in the Cambridgeshire and West Norfolk area and are extremely well supported and an excellent place to start. Nene Valley are also an excellent club (I've been riding their trials for more years than I care to remember!) but their sections are of a harder standard than those at the Dabbers club.

With regard to the Beta Rev-3, they are a great bike (I've had two, an '06 and an '08) - the only common faults are corrosion in the water pump causing coolant to leak into the gearbox oil (looks milky in the sight glass) and the stator can go (no warning, just won't go!). I've had both of these problems and would still recommend them very highly.

Good Luck - its a great sport.

if you join milton buzzard , a freindly club and the bonus ,they have a practice ground and run easy saturday trials too.

nene valley harder trials ,but worth a look . as for dealers, go for one with a good rep rather than all show. there are a couple in the centre .

All the above is good sound advice.

I have ridden Nene Valley, Dabbers and also Cambridge Matchless (http://cambridgematchless.co.uk/) trials and even though I now live 'out east' (Sudbury) still ride for my long time club, Cambridge Matchless. Dabbers run excellent trials to get you started and you'll meet many people in a similar boat to yourself. Be aware that they are very popular and now impose an entry limit. I rode last new year and there were over 100 riders! It was brilliant, and you got a bowl of Chilli too!

Nene Valley have great venues, but as mentioned above can be a bit, er, sporting. Matchless have one or 2 venues that are best avoided if you are a raw beginner, even though they run a beginner's route. I'm just talking for your 1st trial, though. After that and once you are used to the 'MO', you'll be fine. (The trial at abingdon in december has a number of sections you can only reach once you've managed some reasonably tough climbs. If you can't get up, it's a long, long day!)

If you are travelling as far east as Dabber's events, check out some of the eastern region trials. I've just moved here and there are some great events!

If you are Northants, go and have a chat with John Lee in Higham Ferrers. He's looked after me for years now and the place is a warm and cozy mecca! They have so much collective experience at all levels.

Rev 3 is a good choice, had a 2001 bike until this summer. All the bikes are good; get the one that's the best condition you can find and learn to love it.

Practice is always tough; Milton Buzzard (see above) and Earl Shilton in Leicestershire have ground, but otherwise get 2 traffic cones in your back garden and practice figure 8s!

Feel free to PM me if you plan on attending (even to watch) a Matchless or any Eastern trial. I'll meet you and chat. BTW, the matchless trial at Hinxton cutting on 27th is an excellent trial to watch, although it doesn't cater for beginners.

Good Luck

Graham

Good luck

Great advice guys and thanks very much Graham for your detailed advice!

I'm going to try and get myself to a club event this weekend to try and gauge the standard of course so I know what to expect.

Cheers again.

Just another quick question. In terms of CC choice, what is best to go for? I realise it's the million dollar question but I'm not 100% sure on CC choice. I do like the look of the Betas and I am a 2 stroke die hard so I am looking at anything from 125 to 270. I'm quite a tall rider at 6"3 and weigh about 13 and half stone and have just turned 30 (not sure what difference age makes). In terms of Motocross I was always preferred smaller CC'd bikes, was never a fan of 450's etc and always rode better with more confidence on the 125/150's.

Any advice on options?

Just another quick question. In terms of CC choice, what is best to go for? I realise it's the million dollar question but I'm not 100% sure on CC choice. I do like the look of the Betas and I am a 2 stroke die hard so I am looking at anything from 125 to 270. I'm quite a tall rider at 6"3 and weigh about 13 and half stone and have just turned 30 (not sure what difference age makes). In terms of Motocross I was always preferred smaller CC'd bikes, was never a fan of 450's etc and always rode better with more confidence on the 125/150's.

Any advice on options?

250cc nothing more nothing less!

Always buy the best condition bike you can afford.

I have a Rev 3 200 after a Raga 300. I love it and I can get more out of it than the 300.

Don't overbike yourself?

Apparently lots of knowledeable over 50 riders have 200s. This means they tend to be ridden sympatheticaly and the experience of the rider means less abuse and the possibility of nice touches such as proven mods etc.

So far I have not found the 200 lacking anywhere. It still hops up a free metre high rock ledge I play on with way more oomph if needed. Its also light when I need to drag it up or down something!

I can't knock the 200. I simply did not have the skill or fitness for the 300.