looking at a used 2009 sherco 1.25 what to check?

mic

Im going to have a look at a used 125cc Sherco(modelyear 2009,academy replica edition), i need some pointers on what to look or look out for.

The bike in question has had one owner seems to be in good condition.

IMAG0031sherco_paxau_750.jpg

//Thanks

Edited by mic

check eng/g/box noises.suspension wear and tear.b/pads.tyres.chain/spockets.+general condition.if thats the bike in photo , looks very tidy.good luck.

Be really carefull with 125 Sherco's they are notorious for the piston breaking up and destroying the barrel . It happened to me

Good looking bike! I would tend to disagree with Fellonmelug's statement in whole, as there has never been reports of this, yet at the same time, I think any hard run 125 deserves a fresh piston on occasion as they are highly stressed. Ck for rattles! :thumbup:

Thanks for the tips,it has been a while since i was active in trails so i have been looking for 200-250 or 125:s but here in sweden its only 290/300:s or 125:s on the used market,or atleast thats how it is right now. So for a newbie i guess it s better to start with a 125.

I have also heard that Shercos are reliable, maybe you just had some really bad luck fellonmelug? Or have you heard about others with the same problem?

And yes the bike is for sale in Sweden, 40km from were i live.

As for service, are they easy to work with? For example changing a piston?

Dead easy to work on, only thing that has ever been a issue as far as maintenence goes is the raditor cap is fiddly to get at properly although the later black framed bikes may have been better in that regard

Check that LH side of the frame (next to the top of the rad) for welding on the inside of the frame. The picture looks odd there and and they do crack around there if the cross brace at the front of the frame has cracked previously.

Nothing too serious if if has been re-welded (tig'd) buy a good welder ... but has it? <_<

Engines are bullet proof ... best engine I ever owned. :thumbup:

Please let us know how you get on?

Best of balance.

Neo

Thanks for the tips,it has been a while since i was active in trails so i have been looking for 200-250 or 125:s but here in sweden its only 290/300:s or 125:s on the used market,or atleast thats how it is right now. So for a newbie i guess it s better to start with a 125.

I have also heard that Shercos are reliable, maybe you just had some really bad luck fellonmelug? Or have you heard about others with the same problem?

And yes the bike is for sale in Sweden, 40km from were i live.

As for service, are they easy to work with? For example changing a piston?

How funny, trials is a small world, I sent that bike to Sweden! That Paxau Academy has about as much power as a 200. Awesome running bike!

How funny, trials is a small world, I sent that bike to Sweden! That Paxau Academy has about as much power as a 200. Awesome running bike!

It certainly is :) , unfortunatly i broke some bones in my foot yesterday dropping a waterboiler on it at work, and i had planned to go see it tomorrow. So i guess i have to wait for a while now. To bad since i had hoped to ride a few weeks before snowfall.

Nice to hear that its good bike though.