Trials Bikes How Fast Will They Go?

physco

Depends on the gearing. I seem to remember reading somewhere that John Lampkin had a 270 Rev3 up to around 80mph using SSDT gearing (13t front?)

I'm sure that the Silsden rozzers have learned to look the other way over the years...

Well my cheapo speedo has (for some reason) a button you can press to see maximum speed since last reset.

I reckon the speed is measuring about right although it usually seemed to indicate slower than I felt I was going, as the overall distance for the Lomax showed as about 43 miles which I think is about right.

Anyway, the max speed all day was 49.8 mph, and I think that was about flat out at one point.

I think that's fairly realistic.

That's with standard gearing 10:42 on a Sherco 290.

You'll get a bit more with tyres pumped up harder, and less of a lardy on it, but I don't suppose the bike will last long before popping.

I think that speed was in section 12 (tight rock section). Speed can often compensate for a lack of skill :ph34r:

I was well impressed with my txt gas gas with it's digital speedo doing 60 on the road, until I remembered the speedo was in kilometres per hour not miles. :ph34r:

Edited by Mac

:ph34r:

Calm down ladies.

I think what Boofont is trying to say is, Physco isn't a trials newby. He knows what trials bikes are about. Hasn't he actually got a ride in the SSDT this year?

Maybe that was what Physco's question was referring to.

Although he may just be trying to say shut up :huh:

Top speed depends on gearing & power.

If you gear up your bike it will go faster IF it has the power to pull the gear you are using. I would put a guess at 45 - 60mph on std gearing but anything up to 80mph on raised gearing. After that wind resistance & lack of power at high revs will make your quest for higher speed pointless.

I geared up my TLR250 for an enduro - raising the front sprocket by 4 teeth from 9 to 13, (39 back) this gave a significant increase in speed - the other riders reckoned it was topping out at around 75mph on a long forest road (I was catching some MX bikes on the road) but to be honest I dont think it would have pulled a higer ratio. Given the bikes power I think this would have been an reasonable maximum speed.