Buying 2nd hand Betas?

lacey9

I'm looking to buy a 2006 Beta Rev 3 250. Sadly when it comes to Trials Bikes I don't know what I am looking for when it comes to seeing if a bike has been thrashed and polished to sell or has had a genuinley good life with good maintenance.

The bike I am looking at looks to be in good standard condition as opposed to polished to within an inch of its life to cover up the problems. the owner stated that the black anodising on the fork legs has not worn off, which he says is an indication of a well used Beta. is this true? He is the original owner from new and he tells me he has used it very little in it's time. I am viewing it on Saturday but could anyone advise on any tell-tell signs of heavy use or poor maintenance?

Read the last post in this topic, help me :thumbup:

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/34975-2007-beta-250/

The only Beta specific advice is the bit about the potential for corrosion in the water pump casing (which is spot on) - other than that the remaining advice would apply to all trials bikes.

Beta's in general are very robust and have an excellent spare parts supply line in place.

If the bike feels right for you and it is clean and not obviously bashed about (check the underside of the bash plate and the foot pegs for hints of what its done) then you should be ok.

Listen to the engine ticking over and also what it sounds like when running down in speed from a gentle blip of the throttle - any whirring or gravely sounds (as well as knocking of course) and walk away !

Good luck

GAW

there is the dreaded stator failure that was common on rev 3's. almost everyone i know who's had a beta in recent years has had one go on them. which can be costly.

if they where still in warrenty then no problem. but judging by the year you're looking at they wont be covered.

there is the dreaded stator failure that was common on rev 3's. almost everyone i know who's had a beta in recent years has had one go on them. which can be costly.

if they where still in warrenty then no problem. but judging by the year you're looking at they wont be covered.

Yeah that's one of the things that puts me off the Betas to be honest. It's clearly a case of when, not if with the Stator.

I've had 2 Rev 3's and an Evo (2004,2007 & 2010) my mates have each had (2003, 2006 and 2008) Rev 3's and since have had 2010 and 2012 Evos and none of us have ever had a stator go. Obviously people have had them go but I wouldn't let it put you off if it's a good bike.

The only problems after owning 4 Rev3, Was the water pump case to which Lampkin replace free, even replaced my mates which was 2-3 years old. Great bike all be it a bit dead on rear end.

I always kept on top of the electrics after wet conditions, removing cover then Wd40 and then seal cover back up.