Just picked up a Cota 349 - Any advice?

sir dabs alot

I have an MH 349 and like yours, it is in extremely nice condition and original. I didn't want to go modifying it, so heres a list of what I have done to mine;

* Fitted 360mm length rear shocks

* Dropped the yokes down the forks by 10mm

* Fitted some modern hebo footrests for better grip

* IRC tubed rear tyre

* Mounted the condensor under the fuel tank, next to the coil

* Raised the handlebars by 20mm

* Fitted new venhill cables all round

* Replaced the slide in the carb, as the Amal slides wear

* Cleaned out the exhaust <- important one!

Maintenance wise;

* Fill clutch and gearbox with some thick grade oil - improves the action of the clutch and shifts silky smooth

* Regularly lube cables with duck oil or similar

* Grease lever pivots - make sure dust covers are fitted

* All the regular checks with any bike

Enjoy it, you got yourself a nice one there.

Man, thanks for the advice! Are you competeing on yours or just tooling around on it? I want to compete on this one but hate to mess it up at the same time. The frame and engine paint aren't quite as good as the photos might lead you to believe. Not bad but not perfect either. I originally traveled 7 hrs to pick up a highly modifed TY ready to compete. I bought it and ended up trading out with a pal of mine for this before I left his house. He could tell I was enamored with the bike and did it as a friendly gesture more than anything I think. I am soooo happy that I have it!!!

Definetly if I compete on it I'll take the lights off to preserve them. The rubber straps are dry rotted but the bulbs still light up! :thumbup: Even has original grips and throttle. I may take those off to preserve them and install a Domino.

After my first wash the bike was popping and sputtering and eventually smoothed out to normal.

For stock suspension it's not bad. I'm sure newer modern stuff is better but this isn't nearly as bad as some I've had.

Did you have to modify anything for the pegs to work or did you find something that would bolt right on? I'd rather not modify the frame at all.

MH349 foot peg brackets are different to the ones on the cota. Your bike looks great, strip the lights off it and ride it like is meant to be, as long as your not stupid with it no harm will come to it.

Lots of knowlege here on the bike so dont be afraid to ask.

Thanks! I plan on it. What are the major differences from the 348 to the 349?

Anyone know of wide pegs that'll bolt on without modification to the frame?

349's changed over the years the MH349 and Mk4 does not have removable frame braces from the swing arm pivot to the cylinder head. also the MH and Mk4 have a different swing arm with a crank on the end also the fork bottoms are different being longer. Your bike has a larger front brake than earlier bikes.

As for pegs havent got a clue.....sorry

Man, thanks for the advice! Are you competeing on yours or just tooling around on it? I want to compete on this one but hate to mess it up at the same time.

Did you have to modify anything for the pegs to work or did you find something that would bolt right on? I'd rather not modify the frame at all.

I have done about 3 trials on it, at intermediate club level. it went well, big bike!

But like you I do not want to go messing it up or hacking the frame etc. Mine had wider footrest mounts from standard, so modern style footrests can just bolt on. For yours, I know bikes like the RTL Hondas had the same mounts, theres someone on ebay doing some trick billet f/rests that would fit your bike. You can get them - it's just having a look for them.

I see pegs advertised for modern MX bikes that look like the same basic design like they are built to straddle a post with a bolt through the middle. Im guessing there's already something made that would cross over, just the matter of being able to access some to bolt on to verify.