kickstart hits peg

struttf

Undo the bolt in the kicker where it meets the shaft which goes into the engine case. The kickstart should slide off the shaft now. Rotate it a couple of splines away from the footrest and it should then clear it. DON'T TRY AND KICK TEST UNTIL THE BLOT IS RE TIGHTENED. IT MAY SNAP THE STARTER!

It can also be wear in the pivot which lets you swing it out from the engine to put your foot on it. If this is very wobbly and worn you might need a new one.

Try moving it around the splines first.

Edited by pindie

The footrest was designed to act as a mechanical stop for the kickstart. If you move the kickstart on the splines it will travel too far and can do more damage inside! There have been many posts about this.

There was a thin rubber pad on mine that fited on the footrest to prevent damage to the the kickstart but it soon got destroyed,

I just had a look in the parts book and its not listed so I cant post the Part Number.

but really this part should be made out of a tougher material like Polyurathane or even just someting like 1/4" thick rubber and wire it on. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

The footrest was designed to act as a mechanical stop for the kickstart. If you move the kickstart on the splines it will travel too far and can do more damage inside! There have been many posts about this.

There was a thin rubber pad on mine that fited on the footrest to prevent damage to the the kickstart but it soon got destroyed,

I just had a look in the parts book and its not listed so I cant post the Part Number.

but really this part should be made out of a tougher material like Polyurathane or even just someting like 1/4" thick rubber and wire it on. :thumbup:

Rich, that part you describe was not stock, sounds like some owner did that.

kicker hits footrests, that is all there is too it. if you are using your body weight, to run the kickstarter (on a 125 no less) and you weigh above 90 lbs soaking wet, you are lucky you have NOT broken the side cover around the start saft. Use your leg, not your body to kick the starter. then the forces that meet when you hit peg, is almost nothing, unless you are related to the incredible hulk...

'Rich, that part you describe was not stock, sounds like some owner did that.'

I don't think I am related to the Hulk but I ocasionaly look green when very drunk :beer:

The previous owner was GGuk it was one of their SSDT bikes.

Edited by RichT