Twinshock frame mods

neil0965

Sure did, you write very well David

Is the toolbox mount completely gone now like it appears in the later photos, how did the standard airbox fit up with the shortening of the rear subframe?

You've managed to show that there is a lot more that has to happen when modifying the frame than just the work on the frame, would not have thought about all the work needed on the main part of the exhaust to make it fit

Thanks Tony yes the toolbox is completely gone. I started out with the Majesty idea of making the notch for the sparkplug, but to be authentic to the original, I later removed the toolbox completely. The standard airbox was too tall to fit after the frame mods so I made one from 2.5mm aluminium sheet.

Another thing is that the original bike retained the standard botom shock mountings, which means that the shocks have to be the same length as the original Yamaha shocks. If I was to fit shocks of 340mm, the swingarm would go down too far, and modern 340mm shocks have so much shaft travel, that the tyre would hit the rear frame loop. If I was to ride this bike in competition, I would probably have 320mm shocks made and fit a spacer so they didn't compress too far. The photos in VMX magazine have the bike fitted with NOS TY175 shockies borrowed from a friend. Alternatively I could have made new shock mounts further back on the swingarm and fitted 340mm shocks, but then it wouldn't be a copy of the 1976 Peter Paice bike. Peter used standard TY250B shockies on the original.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you plan to make the mod David did on the Peter Pace replica, think twice about the next trial you want to attend with that bike. I have acces to a machine shop and I worked in maintenance for a long time, I can tell you that it took me a lot more time than I thougt it would, and the final assembly is often not the final assembly as you have to custom fit everything. So I realy tip my hat to you David, planning and realising that bike with nothing but old photo to refer to, I don't know how you did it.

I hope you enjoy riding that TY as much as I do.

Guy

• 3 months later...