First mono shck trialsbike

seth29

:ph34r:

I've never been one to deny my age!

Actually this first monoshock topic came up in the pub last night and we have all missed something.

Depending on how fussy you are about wording of course. The first production bikes with one rear suspension unit to be ridden in a trial could be the Lambretta team in the 1959 SSDT. But then scooter trials had been taking place for a while before then.

The Vincent has only one shock absorber-the two "shocks" referred to are actually spring boxes,containing just springs. The single shock absorber is a seperate unit fitted centrally,with a spring box either side.

There is an accident damaged Vincent on e bay at the moment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1951-VINCENT-RAPIDE-1000CC-/190609801963?_trksid=e11010.m8&_trkparms=algo%3DMW%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4793021094155931650#ht_500wt_1202

Also has sprockets on both side of the back wheel, cant recall ever having seen this before.

There is an accident damaged Vincent on e bay at the moment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1951-VINCENT-RAPIDE-1000CC-/190609801963?_trksid=e11010.m8&_trkparms=algo%3DMW%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4793021094155931650#ht_500wt_1202

Also has sprockets on both side of the back wheel, cant recall ever having seen this before.

Standard idea so you could easily lower the gearing when you fitted the sidecar for winter.

Edited by 2/4

JR was on the JCM in 85/86. He was on the Bultaco in 83 and possibly/probably 84.

I had a jcm 323 which i bought brand new, i have a photo taken of me riding in the scottish six days dated 1985.

I dont remember when i bought it but i only had (endured) it for 8 months the problems i had with it!

It sounded lovelly and the rear shock was fantastic then something broke inside and the replacement valve was not as good. I cracked the fibreglass petrol tank in a yorkshire centre trial and had to ride on the road back to the car as fast as poss before i ran out of fuel (didnot make it- long push back)petrol soaked legs and pants!!

Steve.

From pre65 debate forum !

tandon kangaroo

I have owned a tandon kangaroo trials for the last 25yrs it has an early monoshock type rear suspension that is fitted beneath the engine ;just a bolt thro a cylindrical shaped lump of rubber a nice if not crude piece of 50s engineering . Anyway my question is about the fuel tank which is can any one tell me is it supossed to be chromed in any way? cheers

• 2 months later...
I need to see a photo of the Tandon ! Sounds way ahead of its time :thumbup: Glenn

Here it is Glen - hope the link works. http://www.ghhorbury...on_Kangaroo.htm .

Easy to see why the name Kangaroo was adopted!

Also shows the later Mk2 - bonnie little bike that never took off. Only know of 3 of these - and one is in California - unless anyone knows different!

Edited by Stickinthemud

• 2 months later...