24mm Flat Slide

bestrcpilot

Hello

Has anyone put a 24mm Flat Slide carb on a TY175?

I'm thinking about putting one on but is it worth it?

I've already done most of the mods you can do to a Stock Ty motor.

Ie.. 200cc big bore kit and porting to the jug and Head.

SM exhaust and a shorter head pipe.

Alum. air box for better air flow.

Better reeds and reed spacer plate.

Some of the weight removed from flywheel.

Don't get me wrong the motor runs great. And pulls like a freight train.

I would just like it to pick up the revs a little faster.

Thanks and here is a Picture of the bike

IMG_0152.jpg

I fitted a 24mm OKO on my TY175, that combined with modified airbox (had to, as the stock boot would not fit) made a huge difference, from tickover to far higher revs if required. No downsides, at all

it is now fitted to my 125 Gas Gas, with same benefits throughout the (extended) range, only downside here is, it`s slightly thirstier

I fitted a 24mm OKO on my TY175, that combined with modified airbox (had to, as the stock boot would not fit) made a huge difference, from tickover to far higher revs if required. No downsides, at all

it is now fitted to my 125 Gas Gas, with same benefits throughout the (extended) range, only downside here is, it`s slightly thirstier

Thanks That was what I wanted to hear.

bestrcpilot, up to now what what carb have you been running?

I have a rejetted Mikuni round bore carb on my stock bike, that alone made a huge difference. I will be going along the way you have in terms of mods, but not the 200.

Hello Tee Why

I've running a NOS stock Mikuni re-jetted.

The motor works real well down low and in the mid range.

It's just, I would like it to rev quicker with out losing the bottom end that the flywheel gives it. And the motor goes flat at the top end. ie.. flat out in 3rd. in the deep mud and super big uphill climbs. I thought it was the points bouncing at high RPMs but after a CDI upgrade, still the same. And I have tried 190 to 300 main jets and found that a 245 main works the best.

A new Mikuni 24mm Flat Slide is on the way.

One TY175 I have came with a 26mm Mikuni from a DT175. It now has a standard TY175 carby on it because with the 26mm carby it did something that put me off a bit.

It felt exactly like a normal TY175 below about 6000RPM. If you accellerated at full throttle through 6000RPM it would suddenly accellerate faster at that point, much like the way a two stroke MX bike does, but much milder. It was a bit disconcerting for me when riding obstacles that require full stick. Because of this, and because the bike is a loan bike for trials learners, the standard carby is probably better.

For trail riding on that bike, the 26mm carby is definitely a hoot and helps with big (sustained) hill-climbs.

I've replaced my stock carb with one from BJ racing. (cost a packet after customs charges)

What it is, is a standard VM22-133 but jetted with the stock size jets.

They've turned the flange down and added a collar so it's a stub that fits the inlet.

Runs very well on it, I was surprised at the different it made, a lot crisper and picks up off the bottom end very well.

Just going to start trialing a reed cage spacer, boyesen reeds and bigger airbox with it, see what happens.

I made a13mm reed block spacer fitted with Boyesens, and the response was not what I expected. The bike was so bogged down and would not rev. Rode it once and removed the spacer immediately, lucky I never bought the damned thing.

Well the new Mikuni Flat Slide TM 24mm Carburetor got here.

After having to make a collar so the new carb would fit in to the manifold.

On to the bike it went. The only trouble is the choke and air bleed screw are on the wrong side. It was ready to go.

First test ride was great.

Revs a lot faster then with the stock carb and still pulls like a train down low, but hit the gas and it goes and pulls right out to max revs. No more going flat in the upper revs.

More like a modern engine.

Was the old stock carb worn out maybe.

Was the old stock carb too small maybe.

I would have to say it was the best mod yet to the bike.

All of the mods to this point help, but this one really woke the motor up.