Tight spot in new chain

sharkbait

Just fitted new chain and sprockets to my 315 and there's quite a bit of variation in chain tension on every rotation of the rear wheel. What should I be looking at to fix this?

As it's obviously not chain wear then presumably a badly made sprocket that is slightly eccentric?

If its happening every rotation of the rear wheel then probaly not chain or front sprocket as these would not be in sync with wheel turning.

Check sprocket is central on hub else as said above incorrectly made sprocket assuming your wheel is running true.

Yep, looks like the sprocket was not on centrally and there's a couple of mm movement until the bolts are tightened up. I'll adjust it and see it helps.

This is quite surprising though, I would have thought there should be no movement at all - just put the bolts in and the sprocket's in the right place. :huh:

The wheel isn't quite true due to a broken spoke but will fix that this week. The new sprocket is a Talon bought off eBay, I'll do some measurements and see if this is not correct.

Edited by sharkbait

Yep, looks like the sprocket was not on centrally and there's a couple of mm movement until the bolts are tightened up. I'll adjust it and see it helps.

This is quite surprising though, I would have thought there should be no movement at all - just put the bolts in and the sprocket's in the right place. :huh:

The wheel isn't quite true due to a broken spoke but will fix that this week. The new sprocket is a Talon bought off eBay, I'll do some measurements and see if this is not correct.

Be very unusual for a talon spocket to be out.

A broken spoke sounds very obviously the cause as this will not allow the hub to be in the middle.

have you had the wheels trued up lately?

Be very unusual for a talon spocket to be out.

A broken spoke sounds very obviously the cause as this will not allow the hub to be in the middle.

have you had the wheels trued up lately?

No I haven't. Bikes new to me and I'm putting a few bits right. Got some spokes coming so will see what can be done.

I would have thought that the hub would stay in the centre though as it's bolted in!

No I haven't. Bikes new to me and I'm putting a few bits right. Got some spokes coming so will see what can be done.

I would have thought that the hub would stay in the centre though as it's bolted in!

And me - spokes will effect rim but not throw on sprocket - unless rim is so far out it is touching swing arm!!!.

Make sure when putting sprocket on you put all bolts in before tightening and then tighten as you would a car wheel.

I always put sprocket on and then turn it back and forth a few times on the hub to makes sure it has a good seat.

And me - spokes will effect rim but not throw on sprocket - unless rim is so far out it is touching swing arm!!!.

Make sure when putting sprocket on you put all bolts in before tightening and then tighten as you would a car wheel.

I always put sprocket on and then turn it back and forth a few times on the hub to makes sure it has a good seat.