Did I buy the wrong bike? 4 stroke beta

trialtrial

I dont compete - I use my trials bike to putt-putt along west coast rooty, rocky single track. I used to ride a GG 2000 txt 280 and it worked really well for this type of riding. With the trials bike I can "style" the trail, whereas with enduro or MX I just end up "brute force" bashing things. I like going slow and styling the trails.

Anyways the old 2000 GasGas still works, but is really worn out. So I thought I would get a later model bike. So I went searching for a newer trials bike I can use for my single track technical riding. I wanted something known to be mellow. I read a ton of topics about my type of riding and the 2005 Montesssa 4RT and 2008 Beta Rev 4T kept on popping up. Well, turns out there were used models of both of these for sale. Since the Beta was newer and had better reviews - I tried it out. I did a short ride in the parking lot I decided to buy the beta. It was in really nice shape. I thought I would get used to the jerkiness of the throttle and decomp.

OK, now after two rides this weekend I am wondering if I bought the right type of bike. I am having difficuly controlling the throttle at slow speeds for technical work and the decompression is driving me bonkers. With the GG I could put-put along with the flywheel keeping things going, but with the 4T - I shut off the throttle and boom I slow down now! I thought the decomp would be great thing to have for downhills, but I think I am really regretting it.

I totally understand they are a different riding technique and I need time to learn it - but I am wondering: for my type of riding - did I get the wrong bike?

:-(

Edited by TrialTrial

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont compete - I use my trials bike to put-put along west coast rooty, rocky single track. I used to ride a GG 2000 txt 280 and it worked really well for this type of riding. With the trials bike I can "style" the trail, whereas with enduro or MX I just end up "brute force" bashing things. I like going slow and styling the trails.

Anyways the old 2000 GasGas still works, but is really worn out. So I thought I would get a later model bike. So I went searching for a newer trials bike I can use for my single track technical riding. I wanted something known to be mellow. I read a ton of topics about my type of riding and the 2005 Montesssa 4RT and 2008 Beta Rev 4T kept on popping up. Well, turns out there were used models of both of these for sale. Since the Beta was newer and had better reviews - I tried it out. I did a short ride in the parking lot I decided to buy the beta. It was in really nice shape. I thought I would get used to the jerkiness of the throttle and decomp.

OK, now after two rides this weekend I am wondering if I bought the right type of bike. I am having difficuly controlling the throttle at slow speeds for technical work and the decompression is driving me bonkers. With the GG I could put-put along with the flywheel keeping things going, but with the 4T - I shut off the throttle and boom I slow down now! I thought the decomp would be great thing to have for downhills, but I think I am really regretting it.

I totally understand they are a different riding technique and I need time to learn it - but I am wondering: for my type of riding - did I get the wrong bike?

:-(

You will get used to it, and as you say, it will be a "great thing to have for downhills". I rode a 2008 Beta Rev4T for a little over two years. Just takes time to adjust. You learn to back off instead of "shut off" the throttle. And no, the Montesa (Honda) would not have been a "better choice". Shutting off the throttle on it produces the same results. And, the immediate throttle response that comes with the fuel injection make them even harder to ride smoothly, and the learning curve is even longer to acclimate. But again, with it, you eventually would have. One of my best riding buddies thought his Montesa 4T was the biggest mistake he ever made, for the first couple of months. Now, he is on his 3rd one in a row.

Edited by DGShannon

No,I don`t think you bought the wrong bike. You just need some time to get used to a 4 stroke. Ride a higher gear and quit chopping the throttle all the time. With the 2 stroke you could get away with rapid throttle changes, you will smooth out with more time on the bike.

You bought the right bike. I rode my REV 4 250 for 2 seasons. Loved it. Spent the first 3 months thinking I made a huge mistake. Spent the rest of the time enjoying the thing. I cant think of a better bike for casual woods riding. No way the 2 stroke is better,just different.

Aaron

I rode a Beta 250 four banger in the Tera Nova in your part of the world, didn't do too well in the results because I arrived at all the time checks too early sporting a big cheesy grin, the four strokes are great for trail riding and you will find yourself shifting gear half as many times you would on a two stroke, stick with it a while all the posts above are correct.

I'm pretty happy with my 2T eve and really don't like the power delivery or starting issues of my friends (newer) beta 4Ts.... trade it in for the 2T or stick it out and you'll get used to it. I like the extended gas range and how quiet it is (sounds like a sewing machine).

I rode a Beta 250 four banger in the Tera Nova in your part of the world...

I sooo much wanted to ride that race, plus its right in my back yard... I know those tracks.

I'll make a few tweaks to the 4T and give it another dozen or so rides. So many guys just love them, I feel if I don't give it a fair chance I might miss out.

I sooo much wanted to ride that race, plus its right in my back yard... I know those tracks.

I'll make a few tweaks to the 4T and give it another dozen or so rides. So many guys just love them, I feel if I don't give it a fair chance I might miss out.

I rode a 2010 EVO 300 for a week last year and found it one of the best "trail" trials bike that I have ridden; another friend that owns one calls it the fat-ski of trials bikes. Give it a little time, you will learn to love it.

I have done the Terra Nova and can't wait to do it again...good luck.

Spencer

Edited by Spenser

I'd say you should try a 2T. Much as I agree that the 4T is a better Trail style bike, for you it may not be the answer. Try a couple of the 2T's and see if they are your style.

But he has a bike! ........ and your advise would have him sell it. Strange.

Hi

It might be more money than you want to spend, but I'd look long and hard at the new Ossa explorer which is basically their OUTSTANDING [oh yhus, I am biased but I just LOVE it]trials bike with a seat on to make it livable with. Sounds like it would be perfect for what you want, but as only going to be new for a while, then might be too much to spend [good info on the Ossa Canada website]

Best wishes

Will-in-the-mud

they do take a bit to get used to ,you could fit a slow action throttle which will smooth it out ,as you say the decomp engine braking downhill is great as prevents rear wheel locking up (this is not so good for a 2t as engine is working without much fuel ie lack of lube )either that or you just get used to pulling clutch in sooner to prevent sudden decomp my friend had one before me and said you just got to trust 1st gear i couldnt at first and used 2nd ,now i always use 1st and can ride 2t one week and 4t the next without any probs