Issues with my older OSSA

yellow_cad

I have a 72 OSSA MAR. It has run but right now it doesn't want to start at all. I have gas and spark so I plan to take it to a friend that has a power starter to get it going. Unfortunatley, my clutch is sticking at the same time. I have asked on this board about both of these issues but since they are occurring together, it seems like a whole different situation is happening. My question is, how can I start my OSSA on a power starter if the clutch is sticking or is there a way to get the clutch freed without the motor running.

If the bike is in neutral, the clutch is not keeping the motor from freely going round when I crank the kickstart lever so is the clutch actually sticking? When the bike is in gear (motor off), it will not roll as expected, but when you pull the clutch lever while in gear, it still will not roll freely. When I remove the clutch rod inspection plate, I see the clutch moving as would be expected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jim

Here`s my two cents. The clutch has nothing to do with it starting if the trans is in nuetral. Second if it will not kickstart with fuel, compression and spark the power starter will probably help make things worse. If you have compression and spark have you tried to `prime the engine` directly into the plug hole,with just a little fuel? Or is the engine so flooded already that the plug is dripping wet?

Edited by lineaway

Yes you have described a sticking clutch. To free up clutch shift to top (5th) gear, pull clutch lever in and rock bike forwards and rearwards. The tyre will grip better in the rearwards direction so concentrate on maximising your effort when moving it rearwards

As previous person said, clutch issue has nothing to do with motor not starting.

If it ran, now it doesn't, ask yourself "what is different?" Usually that is engine flooded with petrol or no petrol getting to combustion zone.

Yes you have described a sticking clutch. To free up clutch shift to top (5th) gear, pull clutch lever in and rock bike forwards and rearwards. The tyre will grip better in the rearwards direction so concentrate on maximising your effort when moving it rearwards

As previous person said, clutch issue has nothing to do with motor not starting.

If it ran, now it doesn't, ask yourself "what is different?" Usually that is engine flooded with petrol or no petrol getting to combustion zone.

Or, in the case of an Ossa, lack of spark which can come on suddenly (and, alas, permanently).

Edited by 2/4

Thanks. I understand that the clutch sticking and the motor not running are not connected. I guess I was just asking if I could bread the clutch loose without the help of the motor running and I believe you are telling me that I can using the method you suggest. Thanks again and I'll give it a try.