My Car project

haggi961

Hey all, im am quite new to the forum and have recently purchased a 250cc beta evo. It is in really good condtion but could do with a tart up so i will stick a project thread up at some point for any people that are interested. My other baby is my car which is a vx220 2.3 litre supercharged running around 300bhp but still needs to be dyno'd to find out. Please dont post until i have posted all my stuff.

I purchased the vx on the 12 Augusts 2009 and it was all standard.

067.jpg

068.jpg

065.jpg

First thing on my list was to give the car a really good polish and i used Meguiars 3 step system, £40 from halfords altogether.

Triplewax car shampoo with meguiars washing cloth

Step 1 meguiars deep crystal system paint cleaner which is put on with meguiars applicator pads and polished off with meguiars microfibre towels

Step 2 meguiars deep crystal system polish which is put on with meguiars applicator pads and polished off with meguiars microfibre towels

Step 3 meguiars deep crystal carnauba wax which is put on with meguiars applicator pads and polished off with meguiars microfibre towels

So after 8 hours polishing this was the result.

vx8.jpg

vx1.jpg

vx2.jpg

And it was worth it.

Next on my list was to de badge the car and clean everything under the front clam and also paint the toeing eye.

So i started by taking the clam off (thanks for the remove guide dannynewport was a big help) there wasn't many problems getting the clam off just the 2 bolts near the fog light was a pain but the rest flew off.

016.jpg

Didn't need to take the wheels of remove the arch liner.

017.jpg

018.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

Now de badge and looking so much better already.

024.jpg

Front clam removed and the toeing eye looking old and rusty ready for a good clean and paint up.

022.jpg

Started by wire brush then after i got rid of most of the rust and paint off i put on some krust.

025.jpg

Under the front clam before i started, was in need of a good clean.

014.jpg

All nice and clean now.

031.jpg

030.jpg

The toeing eye all painted and put back looks loads better.

039.jpg

And the final picture of it all finish and me very happy with the end result.

042.jpg

Then i fitted the mirror i got off Retset for £5 cheers mate.

008-2.jpg

009-2.jpg

010-2.jpg

i think its made a big difference to view out the front window.

I also received my black bullet aerial off ebay £7.50

005.jpg

006-1.jpg

And big thanks to EssexVX for sorting the vx220 steering badge for me (for £6) as its made the momo steering wheel look loads better.

012-3.jpg

014-3.jpg

I got some new wheels the other week and haven't got round to adding the pictures so here they are.

Photo071.jpg

Photo068.jpg

The next thing on my project is to sort the radiator out so I purchased all the things I need to get it sorted:

1. Alloy radiator from Elise parts £200

2. Sfs silicon hoses from Elise parts number 12-£30 and number 15-£55

3. Halfords Ready Mixed antifreeze £17x3 for 5 litres

4. Holts speed radiator flush £3.50

5. Redline water wetter £12

6. Stainless steel nuts and bolts for the radiator housing £16.37

7. C-Clips from Elise parts £4.54

8. Anti rattle door pins form Elise parts £16.97

9. Mesh for the crash box vents £10.50

10. Chrome engine covers £40 thanks to Matt

11. The rest of the stuff is to paint the radiator housing so I've bought plastic paint, paint brushes, sand paper, spirits, copper grease, a silicon gun, tiger seal and Scotch-Brite for cleaning the engine £48

Photo061.jpg

Photo065.jpg

Photo066.jpg

A quick update on my radiator change, haven't quite finished it yet.

I started by removing the front clam again,

109.jpg

Once it was off i removed the rad housing which was ok till i got to last bolt and i couldnt get my hand in to take it off so was messing for ages trying to undo it , so in the end i had to slide the old radiator out then hack saw the C-clip in half then stick a little screw driver on it then held the screw driver with a pair of long nose pliers then and managed to undo it from inside the rad housing, took some time but i got there in the end.

Here is a picture of my old radiator that was leaking.

111.jpg

Next i sanded, primed and painted the radiator housing with plastic paint, which has made it look so much better once dried.

118.jpg

Then i removed the rust on the fan brackets and shined all the nuts and bolts up and painted the brackets black, once dried i pot riveted the fan on the new radiator and copper greased all the bolts.

117.jpg

116.jpg

I then cut some mesh to the size of the crash box vents and tiger sealed them on to stop the bugs getting into the cabin.

122.jpg

Then I started putting the new radiator back in and i put new stainless steel bolts and washers in the radiator housing so it'll be easier in the future if i ever have to take it off again, when it was all fitted i also painted the towing eye again and a few other little hinges/bolts and the tow bracket and fitted the new pipes and gave everything a good clean up everywhere i could.

124.jpg

125.jpg

126.jpg

127.jpg

128.jpg

I've also i de badged the rear and the wheel centre caps.

198.jpg

199.jpg

I'm just waiting for my new header tank to complete the job and get the antifreeze in, I've also cleaned up the air filter.

204.jpg

Right ive done a few more things, ive fitted my new anti rattle door pins and it has made a massive difference as it is a lot quieter now, would recommend them to anyone to get these and it also sounds nicer when shutting the door too.

IMAGE_123.jpg

And i have also got some new Blaupunkt 50watt speakers £28.50 off ebay and fitted them. This has made a huge difference to the sound, just need a new cd player, sub and amp to make it complete.

224.jpg

Whilst i was inside the car i put some isotta seat belt covers on £22 from halfords

217.jpg

218.jpg

And the radiator is fitted, bled and running a treat, i've put a brand new header tank £26 from ebay in and a new header cap £5 from my garage. Then fitted the chrome covers to my engine and put the carbon fibre jobby for the header tank off ebay for £13. Then gave the engine a good polish up with auto sol and cleaned all pipes and fitted the viper induction kit again.

Engine before i started.

036-1.jpg

And after all my work.

219.jpg

220.jpg

Few more things i've bought and jobs i've done to the vx, one being i have fixed the back light that was letting the water in. What i did was break the old seal around the light.

Photo102.jpg

Then I gave it all a good clean up and stuck it back down with a double side sticky tape

Photo108.jpg

Then sealed around the light with tiger seal so if I ever need to take apart it should be an easy job for next time, also I have sealed the light cluster to stop water getting in there. Yeah it looks a mess but you cant see it when fitted. Once it had all dried I fitted them and got a hose to test it and it works a treat, no more problems.

Photo114.jpg

Photo115.jpg

I have also bought a vw relay wiper off ebay for £5, i'll probably never use the windscreen wiper as the car never comes out in the rain, but i had to have one anyway.

Photo127.jpg

The Velcro that sticks the carpet in my boot was getting old and wasn't sticking the carpet down, so i bought some new Velcro. It cost £1.29 for 1 metre off ebay.

Photo128.jpg

I also purchased some cleaning products and waterproofer for the roof as I don't think it has been done for a while, these were also from ebay and cost £17.64 for the both of them.

Photo132.jpg

Right i've managed to get a half decent day with some light to get some pictures and video's of the car to show you all what it sounds like with my custom built powerflow exhaust which I think sounds amazing and has saved a lot of weight in comparison to the original. I also had a remap done and had it put on the dyno today to see what bhp it's running at now. I'm impressed with the gain which is about 13bhp.

This is the tip design that I chose

IMAGE_221.jpg

IMAGE_220.jpg

and a video of it revving up to 4000 rpm at normal engine running temperature

http://www.youtube.com/user/haggi961#p/a/u/0/Wy-2m223za8

And here is the dyno graph, the best run got 157.9 bhp and 162.2 lbft of torque.

IMAGE_216.jpg

Just purchased a new plastic aerial off ebay for £5.25 as the last one was crap and the paint rubbed off with it being metal.

0123.jpg

Right iv got a few more things to up date. First thing first is that i bought two new clutch springs and towing eye cap from autovaux £8.06 and fitted them both today.I also purchased some touch up paint from Vauxhall £5.08 which i think is a bargain when you also get the lacquer.

045-1.jpg

057-1.jpg

I then put my vx220 chrome sill plates on that iv had for a while just never got round to fitting. They look the dogs B*****ks i think when fitted.

Before

050-1.jpg

After

051-1.jpg

052-1.jpg

055.jpg

I then gave the vx a good polish and wax.

066.jpg

064.jpg

065-1.jpg

070.jpg

066.jpg

Looks loads better when finished.

Also i have a photo of the new aerial fitted now.

048-1.jpg

And i gave the roof a good clean with the turtle wax soft top cleaner and finished it off with the meguiars waterproofer to stop the rain getting it. Looks like new once it was all done.

063.jpg

Haven't had much time lately to do much on my car because of the weather, until today. So I've cleaned the engine bay and under the front clam and fitted the carbon fibre caps that I bought off Ebay for £41.35.

086.jpg

Photo227.jpg

Photo229.jpg

Next I replaced the wing mirror as mine fell off due to the frost, so I bought one off Ebay for £41 and fortunately it was sliver which was an extra bonus. When I received it, it had a few stone chips on it so I touched them up with the touch up paint and you can't really notice it much after it had dried.

089.jpg

090.jpg

092.jpg

I have now fitted my new black Richbrook twist off tax disk holder off ebay for £7, but i haven't taken a picture of it fitted just yet.

094.jpg

Right I've got a picture of the of the tax disk fitted now, but I had to buy more of those sticky things to make it fit as the windscreen of the vx isn't flat so it wont fit unless I build it up with them.

Photo376.jpg

Next I fitted the Seat Cupra R splitter that i got for Christmas and I think it was about

I got a pair of my girlfriends tights and cut a little square to fit the heater housing and then duck taped it on to stop the rest of the bugs and dust the mesh in the crash box doesn't catch.

014-4.jpg

013-3.jpg

Next was to seal the sponge bit inside the dash with tiger seal as mine had come off a bit.

016-2.jpg

whilst it was off I thought I would fit my new cd player to make the job easier to thread all the wires through the dash.

015.jpg

Right that's the job done and next was to fit the dash back on and fit my carbon fibre dash plates and handle guards that my girlfriend bought me as a birthday present.(Sorry but i dont have pictures of just the dash plate and handle guards as i didnt get time so i just took a picture of the door cards that she also bought me later on).

017-2.jpg

019-1.jpg

020-2.jpg

I also had to fit the brain of the cd player, so the passenger seat needed to come out to fit it.

115-1.jpg

Underneath the seat needed a good clean as it had never been done (i was hoping to find some money but no luck :lol: )

So i began fitting my the brain of the cd player ( for people who are wondering what this extra bit is for its makes the cd player work and it has all the pre-outs and necessary connectors to make my amp work when i buy one, I can also connect the sat-nav to it so it can be played through the 7inch screen. It can also have reversing cameras if i ever get round to buying them. So i fixed it down with the strongest Velcro that i could find which was

A picture with the cd player open.

028-1.jpg

Then next was to fit my carbon handle guards and turbo door cards.(sorry i have no before pictures)

025-2.jpg

024-2.jpg

Then a picture of it all fitted with the cd player open.

031-2.jpg

Right I've got some more to update now. I bought a load of stuff from autovaux which consists of 30 new door card clips (

I then fitted the door cover plates but they look dirty in the picture because i had to put in boiling hot water to soften them up to make them fit and they got a bit dirty in the process, but they cleaned up afterwards.

132.jpg

I bought some seat covers off ebay