TY80 Whitehawk front tyre and other info

dandanj

Hi there, i'm new to this forum malarky, so if I've posted this in the wrong place, I apologise now.

I have bought my son a TY80 Whitehawk that needs a few bits and bobs done before we go out and learn gears on his first ride.

I have been trying to locate a 250-20 front tyre, but no one seem to be selling them. Any ideas where I can get them from? Everything seems to be 19 inch, or 21. My searching for 20 inch throws up mountain bike tyres!

Also, how do I date the bike? The engine number is 451-107284, but I cant find the frame number as yet. Its not stamped on the headstock, so hope to find it once I get the tank off?

Cheers,

Dan

Dan, the engine # will tell you the date Yamaha made the engine, not much help in the year it became a Whitehawk. I have one of the very first ones Mick made and got it in 1981. Have the same problem finding a 250X20 tire, if you find a place to get them let me know.

Dan, the engine # will tell you the date Yamaha made the engine, not much help in the year it became a Whitehawk. I have one of the very first ones Mick made and got it in 1981. Have the same problem finding a 250X20 tire, if you find a place to get them let me know.

Thanks for the info. I had guessed that the whitehawk conversion came much later. I will hazzard a guess that the whitehawk is much later that the 1975 engine, probably late 80's. All the plastics are red and most I've seen have been white.

I am now determined to track down a front tyre, that or change the front wheel to a 19".

The one I have also has the seat base/side cover and tank in red. Used the stock TY seat with the Whitehawk seat base. Have also thought about a change to a 21" front wheel. Good luck with your hunt for a tire.

That's why I ran a 19 inch on the whitehawk replica I built for my son ... Trail 90 tires abound ...

It's a long thread but you get the idea ... http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/20753-serious-ty-80-mods/

Glenn

Hi there

I bought a Whitehawk 80 a month or so back (see the post on this forum for 'whitehawk shocks')

Great bike, and the next step for my son who is currently blitzing all the new bikes on his TY80 !!

Out of interest from you Whitehawk guru's out there, is it a Mark 3 ??

Any idea on vintage of the bike ! ??

http://s1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc510/johnbarnett1/?action=view&current=whitehawk1.jpg

It has a 20" front wheel with luckily a virtually brand new tyre. The bike is currently at my dads (too many bikes, not enough space !) so I'll have a look for the make of the tyre - might be a help

cheers

John

Hi there

I bought a Whitehawk 80 a month or so back (see the post on this forum for 'whitehawk shocks')

Great bike, and the next step for my son who is currently blitzing all the new bikes on his TY80 !!

http://s1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc510/johnbarnett1/?action=view&current=whitehawk1.jpg

It has a 20" front wheel with luckily a virtually brand new tyre. The bike is currently at my dads (too many bikes, not enough space !) so I'll have a look for the make of the tyre - might be a help

cheers

John

That looks like a MkII to me, I think the Whitehawk I had in 82/83 was a MKIII which had a box section swing arm, don't see any other differences though. A great little bike, would love to own it again now!

Thanks for that - like you say - a great bike and I'm sure more than competitive for my son as his next step up after his TY80. My humble opinion still the best starter bike...!

My son competes against all the new bikes - and almost always beats them with balance and throttle control (basics of a good trials rider)

cheers

John

Hi there

cheers

John

Hi John,

the link didn't work for me, so can't see your sons bike. It would be nice to see, as I'm desperate to find out what I have bought my son. There seems to be very little on the net when you search for 'whitehawk'.

I would be very grateful for the make of your front tyre, i'm struggling to find a replacement.

Many thanks

No prob

I'll get the name off my dad - its in storage at his garage (too many bikes at mine !)

If you search the Yamaha forum for 'TY80 Whitehawk shocks' I posted at the end of November there are some pics on there.

cheers

John

• 9 years later...
On 12/29/2011 at 9:36 PM, hughesy said:

That looks like a MkII to me, I think the Whitehawk I had in 82/83 was a MKIII which had a box section swing arm, don't see any other differences though. A great little bike, would love to own it again now!

Hughsey any chance you could contact me mate, I’ve just bought a whitehawk with a box swing arm, I don’t think they were standard so it could be your old one. Trying to find some info on it