montesa 200 intermitant spark

zerorev3rev4

recently picked up a mont 200 twinshock ,and finding it has a lovely blue spark outside of cylinder but when trying to start it sometimes starts and runs for a bit then conks out sometimes doesnt fire i rigged a strobe light to it and it fails to light up when it doesnt attempt to fire and lights up every time it fires or runs ,its supposingly recently had points and condensor points look fine ,any advise on how to test individual parts would be great

recently picked up a mont 200 twinshock ,and finding it has a lovely blue spark outside of cylinder but when trying to start it sometimes starts and runs for a bit then conks out sometimes doesnt fire i rigged a strobe light to it and it fails to light up when it doesnt attempt to fire and lights up every time it fires or runs ,its supposingly recently had points and condensor points look fine ,any advise on how to test individual parts would be great

Intermittent spark is usually a broken wire inside the insulation, or a loose connection or a wire moving around and (like the killswitch wire) shorting to earth

If the spark is good when it is there it is not usually a problem with major components

In your case I would first do a visual check of all the LT wiring and earths, including inside the flywheel. If you don't find a likely cause, then disconnect the killswitch and try again.

Whenever I am dealing with points, I put an ohmmeter on the points wire and check for a proper connection. The points may look OK but you need to check if they are making a proper electrical connection.

Many years ago had a problem with the HT coil not going to earth on a 200 where it bolts to the frame. Make sure frame is clean of paint and bolts are tight.

Left mine loose once after painting frame and bike stopped every time was pointed up a hill when the HT coil slid back on the slotted holes in the bracket and isolated coil from frame. Doooh!

Reading this thread and no one has mentioned the plug lead and the connection with the plug cap as they often get corrosion in there so just pull the spark plug cap off and chop about 6/7mm or quarter of an inch of the end of the high tension lead and screw it all back up again at least this will take this out of the possible problems. Good luck. Bully Lover.

Reading this thread and no one has mentioned the plug lead and the connection with the plug cap as they often get corrosion in there so just pull the spark plug cap off and chop about 6/7mm or quarter of an inch of the end of the high tension lead and screw it all back up again at least this will take this out of the possible problems. Good luck. Bully Lover.

fitted new points and condensor today and its running lovely