Oset not working

trix

Ok soldered all the wiring but still nothing arghhhhh, ripped the fuse casing apart, everythings ok, replaced with a new one just incase still nothing.

Maybe sandifords sent me a dodgy relay ? what are chances of that you think, are they robust ?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok soldered all the wiring but still nothing arghhhhh, ripped the fuse casing apart, everythings ok, replaced with a new one just incase still nothing.

Maybe sandifords sent me a dodgy relay ? what are chances of that you think, are they robust ?

with your voltmeter set to dc volts connect the red and black meter leads to the small red and black wires where they connect to the relay, when the keyswitch is on you should read 25v at the relay, if you get no reading then leave the black wire connected and trace the thin red wire back to the keyswitch and put the meter red lead on the keyswitch , with the keyswitch on you should get 25v. if you get 25v at the relay then remove the red meter lead and connect it to the other thick red wire where it connects to the relay you should read 25v which should power the controller.

edit:

Just looking at your pictures again and it dont look like if you have a black wire going to the relay, you should have 2 thin wires at the relay that will read 25v when the keyswitch is on.

Edited by gwhy

I've connected the relay wire straight to the controller wire eliminating the keyswitch just until I get this sorted.

Knowing nothing about electronics can the relay not just be replaced with a 24v switch ?

I've connected the relay wire straight to the controller wire eliminating the keyswitch just until I get this sorted.

Knowing nothing about electronics can the relay not just be replaced with a 24v switch ?

The relay needs to handle at least 40A so a switch will also need to handle around 40A +, the trouble with high current switches they tend to be very large and expensive, a better bet would be to buy a nice set of high current connectors ( plug and socket ) something like anderson power poles (75A) that you just plug in to each other to arm the bike, and not have a switch at all. The trouble with this is there will not be a quick easy way to turn the bike off should something go wrong.

Ok cheers gwhy, Ordered a new relay so if it is that I'm going to see if I can send everything else back for a refund.

I have read something about opening the relay up and forcing the pin across but sounds dangerous so Ill just wait for the new relay.

hmm just looking around and I see there are 2 different relays for the oset...

2006/2007 model

http://www.osetbikes.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=O&Product_Code=REL24V116&Category_Code=prts16

2008 model

http://www.osetbikes.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=O&Product_Code=REL24V216&Category_Code=prts16

My orginal one was the 2008 pictured, sandifords only lists one and it doesn't seem to have any markings on.

Just made up some new wires for the rest of it so every things brand new now, removed the charging function to see if that was it, still nothing, I've fired of a email to sandfords asking about there relay because that's the only thing it can be now.

Hi Trix,

Can you post up a pic of the relay wired into the bike ? so I can see all the connections. Do you have 2 thin wires on the relay ?. Both the relays will do the job.

edit: relay.jpg

Edited by gwhy

with it like that do you get 24v on the 2 thin wires at the relay? . yes it should work like that, my guess is that the thin black wire ( coming out of the controller ? ) is not connected to the black wire from the battery for what ever reason. if you cut the black thin wire ( that goes to the relay and connect this thin black wire from the relay to the black - on the battery this should switch the relay on ( the throttle lights should come on )

Fixed :biggrinsanta:

The new relays main wires were on opposite ends (to the old one) at the plug side, I don't know why they swapped the ends round on the new connectors, really stupid idea surely ?

Anyway dug the old relay out and had a good look at it while looking at the old pics and noticed so swapped the 2 cables around on the relay and its now working again.

Cheers gwhy you have been a real help, I appreciate it.

Now I need to start sorting the wiring out, the fuse holder, this is the one I need isnt it ?...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-SPLASHPROOF-INLINE-40amp-RATING-STANDARD-BLADE-FUSE-HOLDER-ATO-CAR-AUTO-/200680460806?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2eb97cd206#ht_913wt_1163

Edited by Trix