Knobby Knife - Traction without buying tyres

craig10

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cutting tyres or changing the trials tyre block spacing is not allowed. Also adding bolts, studs or staples,which used to be done years ago. That said I think there is a possibility that tyre softeners are being used by some riders on the indoor and are not coverd by current rules. In British League and WC Speedway these substances are banned and hardness tests are carried out.

I did some Banger racing once upon a time and we used a similar tool that would re-cut the grooves. It definitely gave a new lease of life to old car tyres.

The Knobby Knife costs less than the price of a new tyre and would be ideal for rejuvenating 'practice' tyres on spare rims. No rules issues...

surely by doing this your not gaining a performance advantage you are just saving your self some money. and any way i cant see how shaving not even a few mm off of your tyre is going to make it more dangerous for the acu to get involved how is this any difrent to wear in the tyres (iv never heard of the acu turning away pepole for not having enough tread on the tyres)

Who would know at a Club trial, once the tyre is muddy?

Never been scrutinereed at a trial in recent years

Perhaps scrutineering should be a regular occurance? Obviously you are correct though however putting my CoC hat on if somebody protested i would have to look into it and if found to be correct then i would have no choice but to take appropriate action.

Not knocking the product as i personally think it's a good tool but the rulebook is quite clear on this. Perhaps in these economically challenging times the rule should be changed, which is another arguement, however at this moment in time it's illegal in competition.

surely by doing this your not gaining a performance advantage you are just saving your self some money. and any way i cant see how shaving not even a few mm off of your tyre is going to make it more dangerous for the acu to get involved how is this any difrent to wear in the tyres (iv never heard of the acu turning away pepole for not having enough tread on the tyres)

"Not gaining a performance advantage" errr that EXACTLY what you are doing it for!

In certain conditions you can achieve a major gain over a new tyre . We used to do it for the finals in non FIM grasstracks and keep the tyre covered so no one noticed it. by standing behind the bike and using a bike cover in the pit box but only when rules allowed. Non of the other riders twigged it.Brother Simon won at least 20 major meetings making meteoric starts with heavily cut tyres, we sometimes even removed complete blocks to make a trials type tread pattern into more or less an MX tread pattern. Works geat in very wet and muddy conditions. An absolute no no in trials and people like me do notice.

I agree if your talking heavy cutting , but seems to me most are refering to light trimming , hence the "couple mm trim" comment.Some one cutting just to sharpen edges wouldn't bother me at all

I would notice a cut tire as well , wouldn't say anything unless it was heavily cut , and an OBVIOUS advantage in riding conditions , ie. very muddy.

Edited by toothandnail