Knobby Knife - Traction without buying tyres

craig10

Perhaps scrutineering should be a regular occurance? Obviously you are correct though however putting my CoC hat on if somebody protested i would have to look into it and if found to be correct then i would have no choice but to take appropriate action.

Not knocking the product as i personally think it's a good tool but the rulebook is quite clear on this. Perhaps in these economically challenging times the rule should be changed, which is another arguement, however at this moment in time it's illegal in competition.

Just saying :chairfall:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course a sharp edge gives a competitive advantage - or why would we bother to buy a nice new tyre when the tread rounds off?

I confess I once sharpened the edge blocks on the 348 with a Stanley knife as they seem to do a lot of the work (they round off quicker) but I felt it lacked traction on cambers. I'd better hand back that Aberfeldy Two Day finishers award now I suppose.

The local club in the Kentucky/Ohio/Indiana area allows tire trimming as follows:

TIRES

In order to receive any awards, championship points or to compete as a member of a team, even though otherwise eligible, all class riders except Novice must have trials pattern tires fitted to the front and rear wheels of the motorcycle used in competition. Aids to traction such as spikes, chains, etc. may not be used. Tires may be trimmed to remove rounded edges but the original tread pattern must not be altered.

I am not sure that I would buy the Knobby Knife as the local dirt is not hard on tires and the rubber compound may be getting hard by the time the edges get rounded.

Hi

Great tool, but it takes a long time to sharpen the edges, The tyre lookes messy as I dont mark it, just slice to sharpen the knobs. If you practice a lot its well worth the investment. Tyres are now quite expensive here,

So if you practice a few times a week well worth the effort, if you ride trials with little or no practice then a waste of time as one tyre lasts a long time.

Pete

The local club in the Kentucky/Ohio/Indiana area allows tire trimming as follows:

TIRES

In order to receive any awards, championship points or to compete as a member of a team, even though otherwise eligible, all class riders except Novice must have trials pattern tires fitted to the front and rear wheels of the motorcycle used in competition. Aids to traction such as spikes, chains, etc. may not be used. Tires may be trimmed to remove rounded edges but the original tread pattern must not be altered.

I am not sure that I would buy the Knobby Knife as the local dirt is not hard on tires and the rubber compound may be getting hard by the time the edges get rounded.

So i take it that Novice riders can run moto cross tyres ? Never knew that :popcorn:

EE Bah Gum ! And I thought that I was as tight as a knats chuff !

Get yer hands in yer pockets and get a new tyre bought yer skin flints !

Nowt like a new un ont back to make sure ya beat ya nearest rival :agreed:

That way you are supporting (propping up) your local trials dealer (he cant live on fresh air tha' knows !)

Oh and you dont have to go to the lenghts my nearest rival goes to to (try) and beat me - 3 new bikes in one year just to get a new back tyre ! (true !)

Plus another new'un already this year !

For all the tight arses out there - make sure before you change you pirelli X13's that you can deffo see what looks like bird dirt on the tyre (in other words it's worn down tut canvas) - that way ya knows youve 'ad yer moneys worth :thumbup:

You'll know ya Pirelli is jiggered when ya cant find any more grip on the section at the sand paper yard !

Edited by Scoobydo

Sharpening the edges should help in slippery, muddy conditions but in the dry stuff, cutting the lugs will decrease traction because you are reducing the contact patch. Knobbies have less traction than trials tires on rocks and logs because of the smaller contact patch. Reversing your tire for a fresh leading edge also reduces contact patch.

• 1 month later...

Why not see the worn tyre as a great way of improving throttle control and traction finding skills? This way even on a grippy section you get to practice for low grip. Come the winter when you do get a new one you'll be well chuffed and be a better rider.