Cota 247 - 1969

greeves

Hi

You may well be correct, but the stator plates have marks on it that tie up with the 4 deg BTDC.

I will try it Thursday evening.

Greeves, my carb has the same settings as in your post above so at least I am on the right track.

The misfire was tracked down to the coil I fitted one that I had bought (NEW) for my Sherpa before i changed to the Elextrex World setup, however It just would not run above 1/4 throttle and spluttered and popped!!!

I would have thought these coils were generic and would fit Bultaco, Ossa or Montesa.

Any way it feels smooth now.

Kind regards

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Well thanks to one of our club members,(Thanks Alan) I now have another 247 Mont.This time an early Mk2,complete less the tank/seat unit.it still has the steel yokes,not had much time to check it out,but apparently it runs well,alll gears and clutch work well etc.

So, i now have everything I need to build my early MK1 up,the biggest cost I think will be paint.

Its not going to happen for a while as I have other projects in the queue,but its there in stock,ready to be done.

Trouble is I rode my "new" AJS rigid today at our Bath trial,what a bit of kit ! needs a little carb fiddling,but I can see why they were such a favourite back in the day.Even on the first ride its easier and steers better than my Ariel.such good fun the twinshock projects may have to wait awhile....

Well thanks to one of our club members,(Thanks Alan) I now have another 247 Mont.This time an early Mk2,complete less the tank/seat unit.it still has the steel yokes,not had much time to check it out,but apparently it runs well,alll gears and clutch work well etc.

So, i now have everything I need to build my early MK1 up,the biggest cost I think will be paint.

Its not going to happen for a while as I have other projects in the queue,but its there in stock,ready to be done.

Trouble is I rode my "new" AJS rigid today at our Bath trial,what a bit of kit ! needs a little carb fiddling,but I can see why they were such a favourite back in the day.Even on the first ride its easier and steers better than my Ariel.such good fun the twinshock projects may have to wait awhile....

There are lots of early (mk 1 & 2) bits on eBay at the moment, (including a tank) from a bike that has been broken for parts.

http://www.ebay.co.u...sid=p4340.l2562

Thanks for that Chris,there is some useful stuff there.Better be careful what I buy as the kids and my wife spotted the new 247 in my workshop tonight.....

I know what you mean. My wife just thinks I have got maybe two "red motorbikes". Luckily where I have stashed the others is full of spiders so no one else has found them yet :)

The other night I was was minding my own business adjusting the Mont's carb, when in came the wife to get to the tumble dryer.

I had to move 2.5 Bultaco's for her to get to it!!

Luckily she did not notice the 325 hulk under the sheet.

But I still got the third degree.

I do like the idea of spider training though.

Oh, the 247 Cota is taxed ready for the road

Regards

martin

Martin,are you riding the Golden Valley trial on sunday ? If the bits for my carb turn up and its OK, I'll be there on the AJS,if not my shiny Yamaha will get an outing.I'll bring me camera and take some pics of your Mont to give me inspiration. :thumbup:

All being well yes.

I pleaded insanity!!

Seriously though I hope I have traced the missfire and am riding the Dorset Classic trial Saturday.

If all is well I will be on it at the GV Sunday.

James @ JHS told me that the Clymer manual was wrong and that their recommended points gap of .015" was too big for old electrics to cope with.

I followed his advice and reset them to .010" - .012" and it appears fine (well on the front lawn at least).

Sorry I could not get to the last BC trial I had booked to see FOCUS at the Fleece in Bristol, so only one passout a day!

Kind regards

Martin

A quick look in Don Morley's book shows the final drive as being 10/48 for a Mk1 Cota - I think you mentioned buying a 45 rear today. I didnt have time to check whats on my two bikes when I got hme today as I had to drop my bike and run.Tomorrow I'll be sober and have more time to look properly.For tonight I'm just glad my Ajay did a whole trial on one plug and didnt miss a beat.

Hi John

Thank you for that.

Checked and old photo of my 68 Mk1 and 48 seems spot on!

I must admit it was interesting riding with a 40 rear!

Oh well have to order a sprocket and a new Amal now.

Regards

Martin

Edited by Triple_X

Hi John

Given the error in the Clymer book re the points gap.

Would you mind checking what Don Morley's book recommends re the oil capacity in the clutch and Gearbox.

Clymer states 200cc and 300cc respectively, which to me seems low!

Regards Martin

Edited by Triple_X

There are no capacities shown,cant help from there. On Ebay at the moment there are some manuals and parts books I'm watching,but that may take some time....

That Cota on Ebay sold on one bid for £650 - Bargain ! (Shame it wasnt my bid.) Someone had a real deal there. :mellow: I'm going to see if the VMCC can help to get the numberplate back on mine.

There are no capacities shown,cant help from there. On Ebay at the moment there are some manuals and parts books I'm watching,but that may take some time....

That Cota on Ebay sold on one bid for £650 - Bargain ! (Shame it wasnt my bid.) Someone had a real deal there. :mellow: I'm going to see if the VMCC can help to get the numberplate back on mine.

Jon, I have got most of the part diagrams and manual on searate pdf files if you would like any/all of the pages. I'm back at my pc on Monday if there are any that you want me to send?

I can't quite believe £650 either! :D