Cota 247 - 1969

greeves

Should you be telling us something ? !! Those parts diagrams and manuals would be a great help. I'm not sure when I'll get around to doing mine,the more I read about them,the more I'm confused. I thought mine was a MK1 as it has the large brakes and steel yokes etc.Reading Don Morley's book it looks like its an early Mk2.But then again there is an article in one of the VMX mags from Oz where there is a bike just like mine stated as a Mk 1 but having been delivered with Mk2 parts such as the 5spd box etc.

I wondered if there was a definitive list of build dates/frame and engine numbers showing the changes.

Martin,I forgot to say the "new" one I bought started first kick yesterday with a carb full of fuel.And it has a 48t rear - genuine Mont one stamped with the M logo ! If you want to borrow it to try I'll be at the Somerton Classic all this weekend on my AJS.

Hi

I have bought a 48 sprocket and new chain.

I looked at the Mont on eBay and decided not to bid, reason.

Chassis looked complete and the provenace was there. But it had a Sherpa silencer, carb looked incomplete and a few other things made me think it was just too far gone for me at the moment!

My current Mont runs reasonably well and so far has cost me about £1,700 and what's more has original kit throughout.

I just thought I would have been in for at least another 2 grand for a total rebuild including engine and did want to go there.

Mine has the Mk1 engine (which i wanted) just does not have the big hubs.

But good luck to whoever bought it I just hope it does not get broken up for bits.

Regards

Martin

Hi all

Jon - I wouldn't take all that Don Morley has written as the gospel truth.

Regards

Sparks

No, I take your point ! I usually work on the basis that you can believe about 47% of what you read..... (Talking to John Shirt recently about early Majesty frames reconfirmed this after reading an article that he supposedly co-wrote.)

But,having said that - there does seem to be more than the usual amount of confusion over what is what with early Cota's.

John

If it helps I could email you (directly)some pictures taken in October 1968 of my original Cota just after I built it!

Quality is not upto digital standards but acceptable for reference purposes.

Regards

Martin

Edited by Triple_X

Hi Dave

The plan is to get it right then hopefully ride it at Pately Bridge or failing that the Builth Wells event.

As I have said earlier it is all there and now the points have the correct gap runs very well.

Carb is the old original 627 with new jets, slide and needle, however Amal said that if it ticks over evenly then it is not that worn.

Hopefully will have the correct gearing on it by the weekend so will know better then.

Footrests are in the original position so I feel a bit high, but do not want to cut the frame around so will leave and just have to learn to live with it!

I fitted new clutch plates, springs and it judders some times on take up which is why I was querying the oil level. As an experiment I have filled with PJ1 clutch tuner to see if a more modern oil improves things or perhaps the plates just need to bed in. But certainly it will be at some of the rounds this year.

Trouble is, the Bulto is going so well it seems a shame not to use it as it seems like an old freind.

Kind regards

Martin

Edited by Triple_X

Congratulations Chris_ Yes it looks a original one!!! Silencer (135€), chain guard (30€), foot pegs (60€), and mudguards (220€ both) can be found completely new in the internet.

I still didn´t finished mine, just trying to fix a chain tensioner.

Nice bike Chris. It looks to be a survivor in good nick. Yes it is the 124th Cota MK1 built. It still has the original "Mikolor" clamps on the air boot.

The muffler appears to be off a Bultaco Sherpa T the one we called Kit Campeon. It my still be useable to a Bultaco owner.

• Like 1

Thanks for the pointers about the silencer, I'll pop it on eBay unless it is of any use to anyone here?

This one will definately be kept together and get restored in due course. My feeling was, that this sort of bike wouldn't come up for sale very often, so was worth a go. I hadn't particularly been looking to buy a mk1 at the moment, and only put in a low, speculative bid, and didn't really expect to win.

It will be tucked away for now, as I need to get on and finish the other, and more importantly, actually get out and do some riding.

Hi Chris

Nice straight example of an early Cota.

I tried to get an original silencer from Spain and apparently they are not made!

So I had to cut mine apart and rebuild it.

Frankiemountain has a system that will fit but it is not on the website, it has a round outlet pipe and then uses a further rear silencer that fits to the frame behind the offside shock.

I chose not to go this way but he assures me that the Spanish guys use this system.

Perhaps someone from Spain could comment on this aftermarket part.

Kind regards

Martin