Sexy little Italian numbers

wayne_weedon

Those who know me fairly well know I have a thing about older Italian bikes especially the lightweights in addition to my thing about Spanish strokers.

Looking for inspiration to get back into my 55 Morini 175 project I discovered these beauties.

Most of course fairly "developed" B)

6520_Bianchi.JPG

6524_Morini_Corsario.JPG

6545Morini.JPG

2656_MV%20(480%20x%20650).jpg

2669_MV_l%20(480%20x%20650).jpg

This one I may have seen before

5306_Guzzi.JPG

Is it just me that likes this stuff here?

Edited by wayne_weedon
  • Like 1

Wayne I thought you could draw inspiration from Big John (soon to be known as diversified portfolio) Moffat; a more true gentleman you will struggle to find. Lovely bikes but must be really hard to find and get parts for.

Chewy. The reason these interest me is I already aquired a 50's Moto Morini 175 Turismo cheap. I mean dirt cheap,

I was not about to allow a friend to sell it so someone on ebay for 200 quid so I bought it for a few quid more by bidding for it. Then pushed it the 200s yard home!

True parts are not easy. Thats one reason it promptly became a trials project. All the tinware was missing or incorrect, and there was a severe lack of compression!

Hubs are nice 135mm Alloy half width so they are being reused.

On stripdown it was discovered the motors bore was badly scored from a pin circlip coming out and all the rings were broken. There was no chance of finding an oversize piston so I've bored it 1mm oversize and fitted a honda piston. 9.5mm had to be machined from the cylinder length to compensate for differing crown height. It's now 181cc.

It's a 4 speed wet sump design, and like so many of those 50's Italian 4 stroke singles they all look somewhat alike.

I've not done too much to the frame yet apart from a lot of delugging. It's sureley going to require some reinforcing for intended use though. Forks are not decided on yet either, but leaning towards something smaller than 35mm if I can.

I do especially like that Bianci in the first picture! My engine is similar to the Morini Corsaro in the 2nd & 3rd pictures, but has Iron Barrel.

Mine should have looked and sounded like this if it was complete!

Wayne...

Edited by wayne_weedon

Hi Wayne

Lets see some pics !

How competitive were they in their day ?

Better than a TL125 ?

Ross

Different era Ross. Who knows if anyone even trialed them, they probably were somewhere!

I just wanted to try something a little out of the ordinary, and it yet may be a total failure. I'll surely get some fun out of it though.

I had temporarily shelved this project a while ago, but after seeing a friends Gilera 150 4 stroke trials bike I was prompted to dig into it again.

Edited by wayne_weedon

Wayne , I'd have to say the top one in your line of photos is a work of art ,that I'd bet may work well too ...

Keep us posted with your progress and imagination .

:thumbup:

Glenn

Here's another! Oooh! High Cam Parilla's are lovely.

747856239_2bE9K-XL.jpg

There's a lot more at this link, of all types.

Edited by wayne_weedon

Some nice bikes there, I like the Bianchi. Here is one I hadn't heard of A Tobec??

Tobec sounds French. There's a couple lovely looking Motobecane trials bikes around.

It appears that maybe Tobec is the builder? Engine looks Motobecane like.

Edited by wayne_weedon

There is a Motobecane trials club in Belgique, they have lots of pic's and videos with there Montebecane trials bikes: Montebecane Trials Club

Tobec's is a French a nickname for "Moped" I believe. Small bikes with 50cc and pedals from Montebecane and Motocomfort as they produces thousends of these small 50cc bikes for getting around. You find them googling Pic's search using "Tobec AV 42" / "Tobec AV 44" / "Tobec AV 46". I have still a likewise build "Tunturi mopo" from 1964 with Puch fan cooled engine very nice bikes for getting around, (sadly no pic's on hand to show :mellow: ).

There is a Motobecane trials club in Belgique, they have lots of pic's and videos with there Montebecane trials bikes: Montebecane Trials Club

Tobec's is a French a nickname for "Moped" I believe. Small bikes with 50cc and pedals from Montebecane and Motocomfort as they produces thousends of these small 50cc bikes for getting around. You find them googling Pic's search using "Tobec AV 42" / "Tobec AV 44" / "Tobec AV 46". I have still a likewise build "Tunturi mopo" from 1964 with Puch fan cooled engine very nice bikes for getting around, (sadly no pic's on hand to show :mellow: ).

Thanks for the clarification. Learn something new everyday!

This subject interests me greatly. Who says a pre65 bike has to be British? There's some really interesting hardware to work with over the channel.

Morini's I do have a fondness for, I've owned a 500 Sport V-Twin for many years now. Totally stock though!

My Morini single is still going to be a challenge I admit.

Hi Guy's

Super bike's the lot of them. and you can see the time and effort put into every one, along with what looks like a lot of love. :thumbup:

Question is how much money do you think each one of them have cost to build?

More or less than the reputed 15-20K being lavished on one entry in that "Scottish two day trial" this year? :popcorn:

Regards Charlie.

Hi Guy's

Super bike's the lot of them. and you can see the time and effort put into every one, along with what looks like a lot of love. :thumbup:

Question is how much money do you think each one of them have cost to build?

More or less than the reputed 15-20K being lavished on one entry in that "Scottish two day trial" this year? :popcorn:

Regards Charlie.

I'd hope a lot less Charlie. I think there's likely a completely different ethos behind these bikes. Certainly is around mine, which is more for personal satisfaction than anything else. Plus I like to try to be at least a little bit different to the norm.

Edited by wayne_weedon