Ignition Details - SWM TL320 1981 ish

taff4

I have trawled through the SWM threads and have come up with the following;

Timing 2.6/2.8 BTDC

Points Gap - 0.4mm

Plug Gap - ? Help !

A few other questions - How do you adjust the timing, do you need to slip the magneto off and move the back plate and refit the magneto and check. Are there any timing marks to point the strobe at ? Ours seems to have some cold chisel marks on the backplate !

How do you connect an external condensor ?

The only wiring diagrams I have found are in Italian and a bit difficult to read the colours etc.

Finally, not getting any e-mail replies from Martin Matthews. Is he on holiday ?

Many Thanks.

Plug gap about 25 thou.

Yes to how you adjust timing, though not that critical.

Timing mark on casing at about 11, by screw hole, and faint mark on fly wheel is there if you look, hard.

To connect an external condersor, disconnect existing and remove or isolate, join wires together, pref solder and insulate. Mount a new condensor by coil and connect black wire. I use a VW one from Euro car parts which has 2 connectors and a bracket which makes it easy. If you want the part no ask. Bultaco UK also do one thats suitable.

Martin seems to spend a fair bit of time away so not always an instant answer.

Edited by B40RT

Plug gap about 25 thou.

Yes to how you adjust timing, though not that critical.

Timing mark on casing at about 11, by screw hole, and faint mark on fly wheel is there if you look, hard.

To connect an external condersor, disconnect existing and remove or isolate, join wires together, pref solder and insulate. Mount a new condensor by coil and connect black wire. I use a VW one from Euro car parts which has 2 connectors and a bracket which makes it easy. If you want the part no ask. Bultaco UK also do one thats suitable.

Martin seems to spend a fair bit of time away so not always an instant answer.

Thanks for that.

I have a spare condensor, with a single cable.

So, link black cables together that were connected to existing condensor. This black cable comes from the ignition coil through to the insulated side of the points.

New condensor - mount up top and earth to chassis or coil chassis, run cable down and connect to the same insulated side of the points ?

Yes join black cables together to miss out old condensor, use existing black wire that comes out grommet at back of cylinder and goes through plastic sheath, where it would previously just gone to coil join in new condensor, as you say mounted by coil. Job done.

(and make sure wire by flywheel cant touch anything)

Edited by B40RT

Heyup Taff4

Fitted an electronic ignition to my 320 and all points woes now gone - it works very well - managed to get another one working "over the fone" for a nice chap I met at a local trial will shortly be installing one onto a Jumbo - hope its as successful..!!! pm me if interested

Stu

Heyup Taff4

Fitted an electronic ignition to my 320 and all points woes now gone - it works very well - managed to get another one working "over the fone" for a nice chap I met at a local trial will shortly be installing one onto a Jumbo - hope its as successful..!!! pm me if interested

Stu

Hi jumbostu, tell all about electronic ignition. Didn't think there was one commercially available ?

Ross

Heyup Taff4

Stu

Oh yes, sounds very interesting.

We are still trying to get ours running reliably, my endeavours last weekend resulted in a sheared woodruff key. My Son ordered replacements from Rotax which, as normal, the posty takes back to his depot because we weren't in. Hopefully, the 48 hrs noted on the card means 24 and will be available this morning !

If you could share the info. I would be most grateful, we want to be riding reliably as soon as possible instead of doing a lot of spending and swearing !

Andrew.

Please please put me out of my misery - is there an electronic ignition available for tl 320s? and does this do away with a condenser [and yes I no diddly squat about electrics].

I'm guessing that it's a big secret :unsure:

Please please put me out of my misery - is there an electronic ignition available for tl 320s? and does this do away with a condenser [and yes I no diddly squat about electrics].

Mark if you pull the flywheel off we should be able to see if it is the same ignition as something else contemporaneous for which there are modern ignitions available

And yes, fitting an electronic ignition does away with the need for a condensor

Regards

David