raygrilli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Bike:Gas Gas 2002 TXT Pro
  • Club:Earl Shilton

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

Hi Chaps.

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on my SORN situation?

I've just bought a bike that was SORN'd by the previous owner. When we filled out the V5 for change of ownership I'm pretty certain that he ticked the 'currently SORN'd' box. My question is, do I need to do anything to keep it SORN'd (I'm not going to use it on the road)? And, how do I know that the DVLA will not fine me or do something else horrible to me if I've not filled out a SORN form as the new owner if that was what I'm supposed to do??

The DVLA website isn't that helpful in clarifying my situation, so hopefully collective knowledge/experience will be able to help me out?!

Cheers,

Ray

Ads By Google User is online

Ads By Google
  • Ad Bots

Don't want these Ads? Why not help support TC and sign up as a Trials Central Supporter?

#2 bultaco49

bultaco49

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Bike:bultaco sherpa 49

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

Hi Ray

If you click on the link below it will take you to the DVLA page where you can tax your bike/declare SORN online. If you click on either of the orange boxes on the left to declare sorn or renew tax it should tell you the current state of the bike's tax. If the transfer of the ownership has not taken place it may not show yet.

Just to add another spanner in the works the DVLA have had a large quantity of blue registration blanks stolen and are in the process of sending out new red forms to update everything which has the effect of slowing DVLA even more than normal.

https://www.taxdisc....?skin=directgov

Tim

#3 chewy

chewy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Bike:Jotagas 250
  • Club:Kingswood MCC......Wessex

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

Why not just write them a note explaining what situation is..record delivery ..keep a copy..leave the rest up to them.It can't be illegal to write to them in plain english ..They apert from the obvious thing of collecting taxes are supposed to be civil SERVICE.

#4 monty_jon

monty_jon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Bike:BSA C15 / Bultaco
  • Club:Stratford-upon-Avon

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

Yes, you need to sorn it as its not transferable

Do it on-line as soon as you receive the logbook back, donít do it with the slip from the old logbook as this will only re-sorn it for the previous owner.

Trust me I have learnt the hard way (££ís) :(

#5 pete_scorpa3

pete_scorpa3

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 1,610 posts
  • Bike:Scorpa SY250
  • Club:Stratford-Upon-Avon MC&LCC

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

Yes, you need to sorn it as its not transferable

Do it on-line as soon as you receive the logbook back, donít do it with the slip from the old logbook as this will only re-sorn it for the previous owner.

Trust me I have learnt the hard way (££ís) :(

:agreed:

#6 bilc0

bilc0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Bike:Fantic 50+ 200 + 240

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

There you go monty_jon has given you the answer, hereonin it becomes a yearly ritual.
Some say sorn is a good idea i say its just another way to fleece the public from a few more quid if they forget to do it.

#7 raygrilli

raygrilli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Bike:Gas Gas 2002 TXT Pro
  • Club:Earl Shilton

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for that, all makes sense now. I'll wait for the log book to turn up and then get straight onto sorting out a SORN in my name.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users