Beta Evo Project

haggi961

Hi,

A maintenance trick sometimes used when the normal bolts aren't long enough to pull a part into position is to use threaded studding the same size as the bolts and screw this into all the bolt holes in the frame leaving them with enough length to get the sump plate started. Then use nuts on the studding to gradually pull the sump plate into position. Once the sump plate is home remove one stud at a time and replace the correct bolt until you have all the correct bolts in and the sump plate secured. Just be careful though you don't strip the threads in th frame doing this as I assume they probably don't have thread inserts in them.

Hope you get it on soon...

Cheers,

Gary

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers for all the comments guys and the ratchet strap don't sound a bad idea so i think i will give this a shot. You would of thought tho that by now they would of sorted the problem, or just made the thread inside the trial bike a little bit longer so a longer bolt could be used.

If you can get it close enought , I bolted the back of the sump guard on then managed to get mole grips on the front .

Update of where im at now.

I got the parts back last week from the powder coaters.

Also received my items for extra protection of dirt and debris for the air-filter. The other item is a stronger version the the standard item as they tend to brake easy but all it does is stop crap going into your engine and suspension.

IMG_1583.jpg

My paint shield protection came through the door the other day. Im going to be fitting this to every bit that could get in contact with moving parts rocks etc etc also going to cover all the carbon fiber in it for a extra bit of protection as it all helps keeping it lucking new.

IMG_1598.jpg

Next job was to tiger seal the sub frame bits and exhaust to the air-filter box. Then once it all dried a couple days later i fitted the air filter and shock flap and also stuck the paint shield down where the mud guard could potentially rub.

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

I also gave underneath the engine a really good clean up as there was a bit of built up crap there from the last few years. After it was all clean i set about trying to fit this dam sump guard and rubber bit which i still cant get on fully. I have now successfully fitted 3 bolts with the help of my mate but for the life of us both we cant get the last one in so i think im going to take the bike to my other mates house to see if he can come up with any ideas and if not its off to the bike shop.

IMG_1599.jpg

And now the main part of the project is my new dust caps lol

IMG_1602.jpg

Update and one step closer to being complete. I got a few more goodies through the door the other day. I got my carbon fiber airbox cover, small exhaust cover, front number board, brake spring, disc protector, exhaust nut, full set of exhaust gaskets, swinging arm covers, fuel line clip, full beta factory stickers and also the wheel tape. Im not sure on the red rim tape now as i think i might go for the white stuff, what does everyone else think.

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

I fitted a few of the stickers on the bike frame and carbon bits and still have loads of the mud guards ones left over. They are not getting fitted to the mud guards that are on the bike as i have some future plans for different mudguards so they will be going on there :D I also put the new coolant in and its first tank of fuel, second kick and it started so i was well chuffed at this point to know that my hard work had worked. I ran the bike for a while for the new gaskets to seal and let the engine warm up ready for the oil change. There is a couple of little jobs to do before my first trial on this bike on Sunday. But its just about there and im well chuffed how its looking/ sounding so far. One of the problems i have is the kick start is rubbing on the carbon panel when im kicking it over, is there a way to fix this problem. Any help will be great other wise it will wear the carbon out.

A couple of pictures of what it looks like now but il get some better ones when its outside. I still haven't fitted the front carbon shock/sticker yet but will get to this tomorrow.

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

I also have bought some white Samco silicone coolant hoses but they take 3 weeks to make so havnt got them atm but i will stick a picture up when i receive them.

• 2 months later...

Update of where im at. I just finished a trial the other week when my brake decided to chuck the chain off. I couldn't work out what was wrong with the bike at first, so i stuck the chain on and rode it back slowly to the car park area. Just as i arrived to the car park bit the wheel nearly fell off. So i had a good luck to find that i have lost a wheel nut, washer, cam snail and a bearing by the looks of it. What i think has happened is one of bearings has seized then exploded in the wheel destroying the center spacer. So some new parts were ordered so i got a new bearing for the front and back as I didn't want to risk it happing on the front, new washer, center spacer, snail cam, spindle as mine didn't look to good, red fuel hose/ coolant and red bar ends. Also received my white samco coolant hoses and clips

The damage the bearing did:

IMG_1683.jpg

The new parts ordered:

IMG_1854.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

Coolant hoses and clips:

IMG_1723.jpg

Everything thing all fitted:

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

Went to Scarborough the other day and i must say its been one of the best days in a while, solid riding for about 6 hours and pushing myself to try bigger and harder things to get on, jump over etc and i was surprised at what i could do. My arms were dead the next day though, but was so worth it.

Right i think i might sell my bike but not 100% sure, but my reasons are im not using it and its just going to waste which is such a shame as its a cracking bike and i do want to use it. I would keep it if i has some sort of vehicle to get to places and people to go with but i cant justify another one and passing my trailer license. My mate who im going with is self employed so he works alot meaning missing alot of trails. Ive also joined Scarborough club meaning i can just turn up and ride when ever i want so this is another reason why i want to keep it. I need to have a good think about it but what do you guys reckon it would be worth.

Keep it! So much time / effort / money gone into it would be a shame to get rid and you would regret it.

Get a trailer and get to the trials I'm relying on a mate at the mo for transport but getting a tow bar fitted to the vxr and buying a trailer.

Keep it! So much time / effort / money gone into it would be a shame to get rid and you would regret it. Get a trailer and get to the trials I'm relying on a mate at the mo for transport but getting a tow bar fitted to the vxr and buying a trailer.

I would love to but since owning the bike before Christmas iv maybe ridden it 6 times. I cant get a tow bar/ trailer for the car i have now as it just not that sort of car so a second car would have to be bought along with a tow bar then having to pass my trailer test which i just cant justify the money. I wish there was somewhere round here i could take it along with other people to ride with.

Just had a look through your topic and what a cracking job you have done of the bike.Dont sell it as you would regret it for sure.Instead of getting a trailer and passing your test try get a tow bar and one of the bike carriers you get that bolt to the tow bar save you the cash for the test.Either that or have a chat with the guys in the nearest club to see if there is anyone local that could transport your bike to trials for you till you can get something sorted yourself.

• 2 months later...

Well I have to admit he sold the bike & I am the new owner. I am going to continue with the good work Luke did on the bike. The wheel bearing issue returned with near carbon copy damage to the inner spacer. we have noticed that the bearing on the right had side can be pushed in by hand so this is going to be placed in with a little lock tight & monitored closely.

I am changing all of the brake pads & the calipers are being colour coded to the red, black & carbon theme. The chain tensioner on the bike was not in good condition so I have taken the opportunity to change this to a red anodized one.

Near future plans are for the rear sprocket to replaced with a red anodized one ( full set & chain all at once) & then new plastics & new red anodized bits for the clutch & brake reservoir covers & adjusters.

I few touch ups here & there & the bike will be finished for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Talon Sprockets are now on order along with a new Renthal R1 chain, should be fitted by end of week. Red wheel rims protectors fitted & brakes pads are all changed. All rear wheel bearings & inner spacer replaced & in good order after few hours riding.