Beta Evo Project

haggi961

Here is my new project/hobbie to keep me busy with. I have been using my mates bikes when ive been doing trials recently. He has a 125cc gasgas and a 200cc beta evo. I have been looking at a few bikes, but most were in need of a lot of work so i uped my budget and purchased one this saturday (17th December), its a 2009 beta evo 250cc. It is in really good condtion as it should be only being a few year old. My plans are to give it a good clean up and service. Im also planning a few different modifications for it to. I know its a trial bike and its going to get scratched but that still doesnt mean i cant make it look nice.

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

Here is my first update on the trials bike. I have been working on it a lot lately. I descoverd that it had a crack in the frame which wasnt good news for me when I had only just bought it. I did some research into it on the internet and i discovered that this was a common problem for this model of year and there was some warranty with the frame. A phone call and a few emails to Beta themselves and I had a new frame sorted which was brillant news as these frames are not cheap, and it also came with brand new head stock bearings so it was win win for me. Would like to also say a big thanks to Beta themselves for sorting this out for me. The only problem is that i have to strip everything off my old frame and rebuild it all , so i used this opportunity to clean the bike up and replace parts where needed. Here is a picture of the crack.

IMG_1373-1.jpg

Next was to start stripping the bike down so i did it a bit at a time and there was a few bolts that had buggrd heads, but i go them all out in the end. I removed the dog bone as they call it that connects to the swinging arm and the suspension as this unit holds all the bearing and bushes. You are supposed to regrease them every 40 hours to stop where and tear, but it looks like mine hadn't been done in a whiles so a few of the cages broke away in my hand. A job that should have taken 5 mins is going to take ages. Next day was ordering some new bushes and bearings and me being me i thought i would replace them all and do a proper job and would only cost a few quid, nope over a £100 lighter for the dam things. While the dog bone was off i decided to polish it all up with autosol and give it a nice shine and also cleaned up the suspension.

The bike semi stripped down

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

Now nice and clean

IMG_1448.jpg

Suspension

IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

While i was dismantaling I notcied a few bolts and other stuff missing that wasnt really needed or affecting the bike in anyway what so ever, but were there when bought new out of the factory so i decided to order it all, another £50 well spent. The mesh was coming away from the petrol tank plastic so i decided to tiger seal it back down.

IMG_1500.jpg

Few more bits cleaned up but still loads more to come

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

The frame is all stripped away from the bike now.

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

Right i got my new frame back so while it was all new i decided to get the frame and swinging arm powder coated a satin black with a bit of a rough finish. This is it all back from the powdercoaters

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

Edited by haggi961

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm loving the black frame! It will all be worth it in the end.

I hope so as ive got alot planned for it

cant wait to see more some real tlc going into this bike mayaswell do it RIGHT or do it TWICE LOL

GOOD LUCK LOOKIN FORWARD TO THE FINISHD PEICE

Cheers mate

Good job bud, it makes a bid diffrents when youve sorted the dog bones,, :thumbup:

A lot of money for a few bearings :(

Looking good, however, I couldn't help noticing you had it stored in the garage / workshop, then it was stripped in a room of a house. Please tell me your secret, as there is no way my wife would allow me to do that. Lol

She not very happy it being inside but i told her i cant work outside as its to cold atm lol. Ive also got to show her whos boss :)

FWIW. The 09 & 10 Evos came with a soft rear spring...........plenty of lads upgraded their rear spring to a slightly stiffer one to improve suspension performance.

I will look into this more but thanks for the tip anyway

Very good, i thought this was going to be a "look at my stupid rim stickers" thread.

Nice to see some hard work being done, carry on.......

Cheers mate and there is loads to do but my main aim is for it to not look like a 2009 bike. Dont get to dissapointed as there is still going to be some rim tape lol

First batch of nuts and bolts, exhaust & radiator spacer rubbers and gromits as the ones on my exhaust/radiator have split. Tip for anyone who is replacing the grommit that goes on the exhaust as they are about £6 from beta and i got this box for the same price off ebay. Iridium spark plug to keep her running sweet. I have another big batch of stuff coming soon.

IMG_1491.jpg

My range of putoline products:

Air filter cleaner/Oil

Chain Oil

Carberetta Cleaner

Coolant

Gear Oil

2 Stroke Oil

IMG_1512.jpg

My Next stage was to spruce up the engine as it was quite scratched and tatty.

IMG_1490.jpg

After a couple of hours sanding and a respray using matt black heat paint and it looks loads better.

IMG_1503.jpg

I also decided to polish up the bolts used on the clutch cover/water pump etc.

IMG_1519.jpg

Gave the sumpguard and rubber and the back wheel and sprocket a clean up too. I will get a new chain and sprockets at some point, but this will do for now.

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1513.jpg

I also cleaned up the kick stand

IMG_1514.jpg

Now Clean

IMG_1515.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

Edited by haggi961

To bleed the system just squeeze the hose and shake the bike a little. This will bring most of the air out. After the first short testride check the level again and fill it up.

You can put the new bearings in by using a bench vise and bushes with corresponding diameter. Or use the force of a screw and nut. Then you will need some bushes that fit, too.

Depending on your workshop equipment it will be best to bring the bearings to a dealer.

To bleed the system just squeeze the hose and shake the bike a little. This will bring most of the air out. After the first short testride check the level again and fill it up.

You can put the new bearings in by using a bench vise and bushes with corresponding diameter. Or use the force of a screw and nut. Then you will need some bushes that fit, too.

Depending on your workshop equipment it will be best to bring the bearings to a dealer.

Thanks for the tip mate as my freind had a go with the cages and bearing with a vice and socket and it seem to have worked fine, only problem now is I havnt ordered enough stuff to do it all so I'm going have to order another batch.

Has anyone got a cheap set of trials boots they would like to sell in a size 9, just to keep me going until I buy a better set.

Can't help with used boots but for future I recommend Sidi boots. They are not the cheapst but they are really tough, flexible and fit great at least on my feet. I love mine. I wouldn't take the Alpinestars boots because you can't renew the rubber sole. This is no problem with Sidi (Gearne...). Depending on your footpegs,too the sole mostly fails first.