Sucky Brakes - Any Way To Make Them Better?

nanotech9

Hi I have used the method of heating the brake system by riding with the brake on then soaking with clean cool water on my Aprilia some years ago ,and it worked like a charm !!!!!! I think it is just a simple cleaning method , and I never was able to get the disc or pads super hot from riding with the brake on ,but hot enough to clean . Good luck. I think its the 3M scotch-brite pad leaving a residue on the disc and pads ,I stoped using ,when I felt how it affected my brakes . Gbee

Alright, i'll give it a go with the disc on the bike... Having dabbled in machine work, it doesn't make much sense in my head, as it would seem its just heat treating it a bit, but lots of times "field research" (you guys!) knows WAY more about something than some dummy like me sitting at home guessing. I know our engineers here at work try to ignore people that give them "field research" sometimes and end up learning the hard way later...

Looks like the rain has let off today and the sun is shining... Might have to head home early and give it a go.

Alright, i'll give it a go with the disc on the bike... Having dabbled in machine work, it doesn't make much sense in my head, as it would seem its just heat treating it a bit, but lots of times "field research" (you guys!) knows WAY more about something than some dummy like me sitting at home guessing. I know our engineers here at work try to ignore people that give them "field research" sometimes and end up learning the hard way later...

Looks like the rain has let off today and the sun is shining... Might have to head home early and give it a go.

Dont forget to give us an update, clay

Didnt get home until well after dark, but she fired right off on the first kick... prepped the hose, turned it on and left it sitting there ready to pull the trigger...

Rode once around the block in 5th gear dragging the brake lightly... the closer i got back to the yard the harder i drug it pulsing on and off harder and harder building up heat.

Hosed it down thoroughly rolling the wheel back and forth to get all of the rotor on both sides... Took off again and thought i might feel a little better... ran around the block again and it definitely felt improved... built up the heat again and doused it down the same way...

took off, cleared up the water, and gave it a shot... I'll be damned if she didn't pop that back tire right up in the air and right under balance point.

No wobble.

I stand utterly amazed. I've never ever heard of this trick before, and I've messed with a lot of bikes, talked to a lot of mechanics, and tried a lot of things to improve brakes (including letting my ZX-10 sit over night with a rubber band on the lever to help let the piston seals "relax" with the pistons up against the rotors).

I'm glad everyone chimed in that did else I probably wouldn't have tried it based on one or two persons suggestions.

Thanks a ton! Excited to get back out there this weekend and play some more!

well... I might yet.

Went out today and practiced stoppies... The brakes definitely work and stop the bike but they're not exactly "good" brakes... As the bike slows they get a little "grabby"... Almost like they get exponentially stronger the slower the bike goes...

Maybe its just because its a 18yr old bike.

I swear if i could transplant the 2-pot caliper and brake system of my TTR 125 It would be perfect. Those brakes are smoooooth.

I can't complain too much though - the bike stops now and definitely does stoppies... Pretty forgiving compared to doing them on a regular bike in the seated position...

I definitely need lots of practice.

Time to catch up with some local riders now and get some tips on riding these things. I'm tired of doing wheelies and stoppies - i want to ride up or over something!!!