Repacking Rear Silencer

armour

There was a good photo strip down on here a while ago but it looks like it's been deleted from the archives.

The Sherco 1 piece silencer has 2 chambers, 1 of stainless wool packing and the other of fibre-glass type packing.

On my first Sherco 2001 I paid good money to have it opened, re-packed and welded back up but the heat from the welder knackered some of the packing and the result was very poor.

A guy on here did a pretty job on a SWM exhaust by fabricating an inspection/closure plate..I think that's the way to go but it's a lot of work.

This is the exact look I am going for! Awesome!

I guess that price isn't too bad. How long do new ones usually stay quiet-er?

Might you know of a thread or link that would have pictures of one of these mufflers opened up? Two chambers etc. or have you seen inside and might explain how it is laid out?

Mine is 5-6 years on now and still fine, Yet at the same time I say that, I seen a kid on a new 125 that was noisey, as he rides the crap out of it on a daily basis and such.

There is a central separator plate on the muff located by the weld spots that separates the two chambers.

I found a thread here where another member document his cutting, repacking and closing back up of a Beta muffler/silencer. He was nice enough to send me a slide show of how he did it all. A perforated steel core runs thru the center of the aluminum muffler body which is lined and filled with sound absorbing material. Basically the whole muffler is a glass pack muffler which also serves as an expansion chamber I'd assume. Might anyone know if the Sherco uses the same design?

I'm kinda inclined to gut the whole muffler body and then add on my KX silencer which is repackable. The larger volume of expansion chamber might be great for power.

I wonder if oil accumulation is a reason they get noisy? Ponderous.

Edited by TNTrials

I found a thread here where another member document his cutting, repacking and closing back up of a Beta muffler/silencer. He was nice enough to send me a slide show of how he did it all. A perforated steel core runs thru the center of the aluminum muffler body which is lined and filled with sound absorbing material. Basically the whole muffler is a glass pack muffler which also serves as an expansion chamber I'd assume. Might anyone know if the Sherco uses the same design?

I'm kinda inclined to gut the whole muffler body and then add on my KX silencer which is repackable. The larger volume of expansion chamber might be great for power.

I wonder if oil accumulation is a reason they get noisy? Ponderous.

My take on this. They are obviously tuned to lower rpm torque and the head pipe and mid section act as something of an expansion chamber with the aft section as more a silencer with the glass packing. Back pressures fairly low with a decent size tip.

You may find the perf tube grunged up or the glass blown out or totally packed up with oil. As many run too much oil or the wrong oil or never get the thing going enough to blow out the crap wich just accumulates untill it is just all bunged up.

As with anything, there is only one real way to fix this, so either roll up your sleves or dig out the credit card.

You can't go by what I did, I got my newer style muffler used. I'd definitely say go for a new one from RYP. I'd say you'd definitely be happier with it if you just went ahead and got a new one. The packing should last several years for sure.

I notice your in TN as well, where did you get your 125?

I'll keep and eye out for a new one or nice used one. It wound be nice to have an easy to repack silencer can on the end though.

I got the bike from a STRA member in Macon, GA. He might even be a member here.

Maybe it's just me but when my car needs a new muffler i don't repack it, i just buy a new one ;) Same will be for my Sherco when i eventually need a new one.

cheers

Yeah, it's just you. :)

You probably throw soured milk away and follow all of those expiration dates on food too.

Some folks are perfectly content with what ever muffler "The Man" has installed on their motorcycle. I, Sir, am not one of those people.

Edited by TNTrials