2011 Sr280 Running Lean

rjaimers

Hi

I am new to this forum, Lots of great information that has helped in locating and fixing a problem with my "new" bike.

I have had this for 1 year and every time I went for a "long" ride the bike would run out of fuel when running at 3/4 to full throttle, riding between sections that are quite some distance apart. Stopping and waiting for a small moment the engine then slowly returned to its happy state.

I had looked at float level, Jet sizes, and float jet size. none of these fixed the issue.

I increased the float jet size from the factory 2.5mm to 3.0mm, no luck on running out of fuel.

I the pulled the fuel tap off the tank and disassembled this and the plastic tube (that is the main) had a hole of 1.8mm down through it, this looked as if was the restriction I was looking for. I have made a new tap from a very small ball valve and some manufacturing, it now has a opening in the line to the carbie no smaller than 3.8mm.

Something I have also noted the tap lies horizontal and then as such the reserve on the tap is pointless, It seems not a lot of thought has gone into the bike beyond getting them out and keeping the cost down.

To date touch wood, all is running as I would have expected from the factory. The engine is one of those Sherco excess to their needs engines using one of those Delorto PBH26 carbies (I hope I have the numbers correct here).

I must add I LOVE the bike, Steers Really great, Starts ALWAYS, Has lots and lots of Snot (more than the rider can always handle).

I really hope this helps someone else in the same way the information here (mostly in the Sherco section) has helped me.

Hi RJ,

Glad to see the bikes running OK, mine has run great since new, saying that it sometimes can take a few kicks to start when hot. I believe this may be down to the stator giving a weak spark, Paul Arnott (HellTeam) has sent me a new one on warranty so that should cure it.

With your lack of fuel problem mine had a kinked fuel line under the tank when purchased this took a bit of working out as it would run fine then cut out 'usually in a section' i shortened the hose and that cured the problem.

With your fuel tap did it have a reserve? mine is either on or off no reserve.

Hi RJ,

Glad to see the bikes running OK, mine has run great since new, saying that it sometimes can take a few kicks to start when hot. I believe this may be down to the stator giving a weak spark, Paul Arnott (HellTeam) has sent me a new one on warranty so that should cure it.

With your lack of fuel problem mine had a kinked fuel line under the tank when purchased this took a bit of working out as it would run fine then cut out 'usually in a section' i shortened the hose and that cured the problem.

With your fuel tap did it have a reserve? mine is either on or off no reserve.

Ours developed starting problems too when warm. Scorpa/Sherco (Spain) know of this problem and replaced parts under warranty. We got a CDI and the Stator. Make sure your not just getting another stock 2011 Scorpa stator as the problem will still be there. They replaced mine with an older Sherco unit (pre duel mapping). I believe this is also why you need the CDI, to match up with the stator. You wind up with wires that are too long coming from the stator, but this is the one that will cure your hot starting problems.

Thanks sirhc, I havn't fitted it yet but I will check before I do. I did recieve the CDI unit as well so I would say it is the right one (great support from the Hell Team)

What plug are you running in yours? also any other problems to look out for?

I am very happy with the bike overall, just like its predecessor it is very underated.

Sounds like you got the correct thing.

I run NGK BP5ES, same as the Sherco's.

I had a pinched fuel line too. Never caused any problems, I just saw it and fixed it. No other problems with the bike :thumbup:

We had a 125 that my son and I rode for a while. He also had a Sherco 125 (I'm a dealer) With the 125 it was very easy to tell that with the Scorpa air box and muffler design the bike had more bottom end power, but wouldn't rev out as far as they would with the Sherco design. When I had the opportunity to compete on a 280 I found the same thing, very strong off the bottom, when compared to a standard Sherco. I'm guessing it also didn't rev out as far, but I'm not the kind of rider that really tests that on a 280.

When it was time to get myself a 2012 bike I decided to get myself a Scorpa 280 just because I really like the way they handle and the action of the rear shock. Goes to show you don't need backwards cylinders or tanks moved around to have a great bike :thumbup:

Hi Yamfan

The Fuel tap on my bike originally had a Reserve position along with a main position, as a result the holes to get two fuel lines in needed to be reduced to less than 2mm.

My replacement that I made has only one position, the holes are large and the fuel line is very direct to the carb.

I have "touch wood" no issues with the stator not making sparks at the spark plug. Only once did it not start when hot by the kick starter. I rolled down hill and bumped started and it fired within 1 wheel rotation, (it may be a bit like a weed-eater, two ignition circuits slow running and fast).

I have noticed that the 2009 Sherco fuel settings are a little different to the 2011 Scorpa even though the engines and the carbs are the same (I think).

I am wondering if I should have replaced or had worked on getting a new Stator just in case this is the issue. Late now for Warranty I suppose.

As stated I like thgis bike and is light years ahead of the old 1973 TY250 I sold on purchasing this.