The Right Time To Buy A Trials Bike?

magicmat

Hi Guys,

I've been out of trials for about three years and am looking to buy a trials bike, but the market is incredibly busy and competitive !

im contacting sellers who have had tons of interest on their bikes and usually they are selling within days.

Is now the wrong time of the year to buy? Im guessing that because local clubs are starting their comps soon, everyone is looking to sort a new bike?

Would it be better to wait a few months before getting a bike, as they would be a little cheaper and less buyers hunting the bikes down???

I sold my bike in Feb 2009, and prices seem to have shot up since, Wish i'd held onto it now, (but it was the right decision at that time)

Cheers

Matt

Strange one. You get years where bikes sell like hot cakes and others where Dealers have them hanging around for months. Even my Local dealer has said that if we were to change we'd get more advertising it privately and would sell it within days. I remember p/ex a 125 in 2008 and it hanging around the dealers for months. Now you'd be hard pressed to find a year old 125.

look how many bikes there are on ebay.. couiple of years ago typing 'trials' on motorcycles would have got about 100 hits this am there are 230.. so more bikes on open market.

i suspect a couple of reasons for this.. riders are selling bikes that sit in the back of sheds unused for the cash in hand during the recesssion and dealers arent taking bikes on px.. or rather theyre offer very little to px a bike as they dont want cant afford to hold bikes in stock and importantly the sale of new bikes will have fallen through the floor as how many can afford to lash 4-5k at the moment..

so in short heavily used / neglected bikes are plentiful but nice clean bikes are in short supply..

or as in my case i bought a beta new several years ago frankly the bike design is much unchanged over that period of time my riding cant make the most of it as it is, its in a1 condition so why would i change other than fashion..

I haven't got my finger on the pulse when it comes to bike values/buying trends but a couple of years ago my personal circumstances were going to take a change for the worse and trials (05-290 Sherco) would have to take a back seat ( :crying: cue violin music :( ).I reckoned I wouldn't lose out much if I were to keep a hold of my bike until I saw light at the end of the tunnel.

Looking at the current second hand bike prices and conditions now :huh: I might have made the right call..(for once in my life).