Beta: Gunk In The Radiator?

magicmat

Hi All,

Having recently acquired a 2006 Beta Rev3, I feel i have already fallen into a pit fall :(

I have gone to give the bike a good service and started to change the coolant and I have found what i can only describe as mayonaise, which i know is oil and water mixing :(

The previous owner thinks that there was radwell in the system, however that just doesnt make sense??

However I thought i'd throw a few pictures up on there, see if you agree?

- what the fix is going to be

- whats the damage possibility done?

:angry:

So first up the radiator:

P1040740.jpg

P1040741.jpg

When i took the water pump off

P1040730.jpg

P1040716.jpg

After i cleaned the water pump housing out

P1040731.jpg

P1040734.jpg

You can see the seal is at an angle and i wonder if its the issue?

P1040732.jpg

Then a look at the gearbox oil, which is Putoline oil, (thats what was on the shelf, so i believed him)

..its hard to get the light right, with an LED Torch, but i tried to get the colour

P1040725.jpg

P1040729.jpg

P1040728.jpg

P1040738.jpg

Ideas ?? ..

its hard to tell from the photos. look inside the case, the inside of the water pump as it were the other side where the water pump drives from. if you can see perforation here its a new case i'm afraid. I hav'nt done one for a while now but i think they came down in price, (

BetaBonkers,

where was that from, and what bits did you change?

Not really wanted i wanted when buying, I just bought a tyre and fluids today coming in at £100, didn't really envisage another £100 :wall:

Edited by Magicmat

Hi , Yes, looking at the water pump part of the clutch casing it looks to have made tiny holes in the metal. if you turn it over you shold be able to see really small holes where the pressurised water has entered the gearbox. If these are not visible then the water is getting into the gearbox through another entry point (seal). I am pretty sure i can see the holes in the case.

p.s. these are the best photos i have seen on here, its the only way to diagnose problems.

Hi , Yes, looking at the water pump part of the clutch casing it looks to have made tiny holes in the metal. if you turn it over you shold be able to see really small holes where the pressurised water has entered the gearbox. If these are not visible then the water is getting into the gearbox through another entry point (seal). I am pretty sure i can see the holes in the case.

p.s. these are the best photos i have seen on here, its the only way to diagnose problems.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the comment on the photos, my other half is a photography teacher so i pinched her new compact camera. If your going to put pictures up, you may has well do decent ones. I'll also leave these up so others can see and compare.

I've looked at the bike again this morning, the water pump shaft doesn't have any in/out play, but it does have some side to side play, its not sloppy, just a small amount of moment.

I've taken the clutch cover off and this is what i've found:

I cant see any pitting on the inside tho

P1040743.jpg

P1040746.jpg

P1040748.jpg

P1040751.jpg

P1040750.jpg

Looking from the front of the water pump, shows that the internals are pitted, i'm guessing this is the corrosion which eventually goes through??

P1040753.jpg

P1040752.jpg

A look at the engine oil, does look like milk, but when i drained the rad, 600ml of water definitely didn't come out.

P1040757.jpg

From my research on here, it seems that its worth changing the pump bearings and seal, suppose the shaft can be done as well. Just need to decide whether its worth changing the casing ??? part of me is concerned that the pitting on the impeller is going to ome through sooner rather than later :(