Dirty Smell 2010 Evo

bertyboy2008

Hi guys bought a 2010 evo 250 a lot of weeks back and when i go hard up a long hill i get a dirty smell from exaust.. i dont seem to be loosing any gearbox oil as i was thinking crankshaft seal was gone maybe..bike pulls and runs really well not fouling plugs etc.. Im baffled in whats causing this i have put new air filters in unoiled to c if it goes away.... still there... this does not happen all day long its worse the first 20 mins of riding and only appears after giving it the welly higher gears.. im using putoline mixed 70ml to 5 litres.. smells like sum kind of oil burning and smells like hay burning sometimes too if thats anything to go by lol

thanks guys give me ur imput on this one

Hi betaboy have these bikes a habbit of catching gunk in the exaust it had crossed my mind stripping down silencer

It does the bike well toget some heat into the exhaust like this and burn/ blow out the crud. It is rather normal and a good thing. Some bikes are soo loaded with grunge they seem to light off and start billowing smoke.

Not to overdoo it, but getting rid the crud can actually save you a repack! :rolleyes:

It does the bike well toget some heat into the exhaust like this and burn/ blow out the crud. It is rather normal and a good thing. Some bikes are soo loaded with grunge they seem to light off and start billowing smoke.

Not to overdoo it, but getting rid the crud can actually save you a repack! :rolleyes:

hi copmech thanks im gonna trail the whole exsaustvoff and clean with costic soda and probably repack silencer while im at it i mayaswell try and eliminate this once and for all

hi copmech thanks im gonna trail the whole exsaustvoff and clean with costic soda and probably repack silencer while im at it i mayaswell try and eliminate this once and for all

Careful - caustic soda is not good on aluminium. It will eat away at the aluminium. Do not use caustic soda based degreasers. Use a solvent based degreaser or leave it to soak for a while in petrol (the longer the better).

Think twice! As stated, first thing is just to let it burn off. This to me is just common maintenance, as the crud will allways accumulate/ nature of the beast. There is no"once and for all" unless you leave the motor shut off or for get the premix oil, in which case it won't run long.

What oil and hou much you using? :rolleyes:

No probs costic soda is a non starter....thanks for the warning guys...

I have bought silencer packing and gonna strip and clean with petrol and repack when dry hoping that it takes some of it away as its rank smell...

Using putoline strawberry tt pro... 70 ml to 5 litres

do you thing leaning the needle jet clip down a notch would help??

You need to raise the clip a notch to make it leaner!

TLTEL

TLTEL

I am totally confused by your advice! How will changing the needle clip position affect the pre-mix oil coming up from the crankcase? :wall:

This should be interesting! :P

Respectfully

Edited by BillyT

No probs costic soda is a non starter....thanks for the warning guys...

I have bought silencer packing and gonna strip and clean with petrol and repack when dry hoping that it takes some of it away as its rank smell...

Using putoline strawberry tt pro... 70 ml to 5 litres

do you thing leaning the needle jet clip down a notch would help??

Jetting will not change your oil ratio. You really need to just burn it out first to rid the excess. Hopefully it is not too fouled.

Excess oil is not your friend, as we run 80:1 ratios in the pro bikes, and fact is most punters can cet by with as little as 100:1 with normal ops which is only 50ml as long as no roadwork.

The excess just bungs things up, and will still accumulate if you do not blow it out upon occasion!