Youth Class Age/Machine Regs?

pete_scorpa3

Here's a topic for constructive discussion.

Certain interested parties are asking ACU Centres for their opinion on the current age and machine regulations for youth riders.

In our club we have very few under 16's, despite positively promoting the youth side of trials with championships, trophies, conducted routes and even a youth trial, we are struggling to attract the younger riders.

Personally I don't think a change in the age groups or machine capacities would make any difference to entries.

eg 6 year olds on 80's, 13 year olds on 250's etc etc

What do you think, could a change make a difference to youth entries?

Pete

you can ride a 250 at club level at 16 as long as you enter as an adult tsr1

Yes, that's already the case. However, there is an on-going discussion concerning the benefit of allowing younger riders use bigger machines (which I believe is allowed by AMCA clubs at the moment possibly?)

Would it help attract youngsters to the sport?

Personally It's too late if they can ride 250's. The problem has always been finding the machines to catch them at 5 and 6 years old and that appears to have been solved with the E class. Once they are in they'll just follow though onto Petrol machines when they fit!! No disrespect to GasGas Sherco and Beta but those little Autos were never ideal and the biggest influx of riders came first with the TY80 and then the REV50

We (the south eastern centre)are the ones of those rocking the boat.

We have on many occasions had someone come along with their kid who want to try trials (but are big enough for an adult size trials bike). So why not let them jump on someone bike, or the even better example - why can a 14 year old lad have a go on his dad's bike?. Thirdly once you've got the kid interested what are the cheapest most available second hand bikes about, above 125cc bikes - ie the cost of a 2nd hand 125 is so high (vs say a 250) and availability so scarce that it is a barrier to entry to our sport.

As stated above there are a few things going for it;

* AMCA have a different rule (allowing a limit of 250cc at a younger age than 16 - i don't have the number to hand, could be 14)

* Other motorcycle sports (road race, grass track, enduro, mx, etc) put under 16 on much higher cc bikes. Eg in MX you ride an 85cc 2T (or 150cc 4T) then go straight to 125 2T or 250 4T.

* Pre65 & Twinshock - under ACU rules we let under 16s ride large cc bikes (i think tha handbook gives a cc limit) if they are pre65 or twinshock.

Obviously you might want to put a cc cap on British championship and even centre trials so your not over biking the kids (esp you probably don't want them on 290s straight away but the jump is not like the gap between a 125 2t MX bike a good old CR500 2T arm puller!

Thinking about this I foresee some problems. Firstly what exactly are we trying to do here? If the rider is a beginner and a youth then a 125 is about right, anything bigger will probably scare them off. And before you point out 200's they are in shorter supply than 125's. Secondly if they have been riding a while then yes they can ride a 250 probably pretty easily but why? They will have a bike already.

I don't see the point to a degree as every "what bike to start on?" ends up with a 125 or 200 being recommended. I have even done the same myself for a lad who was starting, is 16 and would be 17 or 18 before he starts competing. I could see a exception being made for those who wish to only practice but even then I think 14 or 15 should be the lower limit.

I was talking to an older club member about this last week and he said that the rule was changed to current rule on safety grounds, not sure if there is less accidents on the smaller bikes I would not of thought so. My thoughts is they are big another to ride a 250 and they can handle it safely then fine let them ride one.

Having read some other forums on here it is probably more related to some power restriction to fit in with an insurance requirement (see form 631 A para B re. dvlc note 79854 clause c.) not to forget FIM cert. b ref. sh!.. t !s !n control which covers international events relative to all riders under 18 years and with a licence in compliance with part B DVLA form 6/3335 ref para 4.

this is All benificial as it provides full time employment for many otherwise useless individuals not to mention the tax revenue they can contribute. It also of course ensures that there is no liability if anyone ever gets hurt, which of course in turn helps with our pensions as profits mean share values increase in line with D.O.E objective 6/1.324 subsection para 3. fig 2.111.3.

Of course the real solution is to offer a cuddly toy with every bike thus eliminating any problems which may arise..Simples.

Having read some other forums on here it is probably more related to some power restriction to fit in with an insurance requirement (see form 631 A para B re. dvlc note 79854 clause c.) not to forget FIM cert. b ref. sh!.. t !s !n control which covers international events relative to all riders under 18 years and with a licence in compliance with part B DVLA form 6/3335 ref para 4.

this is All benificial as it provides full time employment for many otherwise useless individuals not to mention the tax revenue they can contribute. It also of course ensures that there is no liability if anyone ever gets hurt, which of course in turn helps with our pensions as profits mean share values increase in line with D.O.E objective 6/1.324 subsection para 3. fig 2.111.3.

Of course the real solution is to offer a cuddly toy with every bike thus eliminating any problems which may arise..Simples.

And your point is.... The ACU wants our Young riders to be able to compete abroad Hence the ruling is in line with FIM restrictions. I would expect the "employment" you refer to would still be there whatever bike size is ridden as they would be riding a "bike". As a post it's pretty Bloody pointless!!!!!!!!!!!

If there was a benefit to youths riding 250's I expect every other FIM associated National body would be there banging down the doors of the FIM. As there isn't it's pretty obvious that it works!!!

We could debate this 125/250 rule until the cows come home (and probably will)

The way things are going in a few years it will be what "amp rating" the bike has!

Enjoy the "internal combustion engine" in any form when you still can!

Big John

• 2 months later...

Ive had a 13 year break from trials and the 125 rule has appeared during that gap so I wasn't up on it at the time.

I can recall as a youth I had a ty80 and a whitehawk 175 (wish i had it still ££££), I could only ride the ty 80 in trials untill i was 12. I rode the whitehawk in a display team and when i was old enough i used it for trials. When I was 13 or 14 my dad got me a JCM 240. I must have been getting close to 15 when I was ready to ride experts so the bigger bike was ideal as i wouldn't have been able to do it on the whitehawk due to the lack of power for a start.

I think the cc limit should go by class as the current crop of youth A & B riders Can handle almost any bike. I wouldn't like to see a novice youth start riding on a 250, no mater how big they are.

Modern 125's are a big leap forward,I have ridden a 07 that my mate brought to do up and sell and was amazed at the performance when revved but they dont have the torque to find traction in the mud. In Spain the 125 would be great for all age groups as its dust and rocks but over here our top youths would benefit with a bigger bike.

When my son is big enough I bet he will want to ride my bike all the time in practise instead of a 125. He thinks his gas gas 50 needs more power so heaven knows how frustrated he will be later on.