Evo 200 - Any Good?

francley40

Hi Beta-freaks,

I'm thinking of getting a 200 as I'm finding a 250 is a bit too much and a 125 isn't quite enough, if you see what I mean.

I've recently been in touch with Chewy and Doogle who both rate the Evo 200 highly.

Wondered if there's anyone else out there in TrialsCentralLand who will share their opinions about these bikes, please.

The left sided kick start on my old 250 Techno was a pain but 200cc must be a bit easier to turn over..........?

Thanks.

Hi Beta-freaks,

I'm thinking of getting a 200 as I'm finding a 250 is a bit too much and a 125 isn't quite enough, if you see what I mean.

I've recently been in touch with Chewy and Doogle who both rate the Evo 200 highly.

Wondered if there's anyone else out there in TrialsCentralLand who will share their opinions about these bikes, please.

The left sided kick start on my old 250 Techno was a pain but 200cc must be a bit easier to turn over..........?

Thanks.

The 200 Rev 3 is certainly a cracker.

There's no rule that says a left side kickstart has to be operated by the left foot.

I have been riding my mates evo 200 on a few trials until i bought the evo 250. I found the 200 to be perfect weight and power for just about evertying I was doing. The 250 I have now is with out a doubt more powerful bike and in still getting use to after riding the 200. He also has 2 125 gasgas which I find are under powder and light on the throttle. I don't think there is much weight diffrence in the 200, 250 but what ever you get you should get use to the bike as its only going to move as quick as what you let the clutch, throttle. I would say that both are cracking bikes.

I have just gone from a 2009/2010 Evo 125 to a 2012 Evo 200. I had fitted Boyesen Reeds to the 125 and re-jetted it and had a fast-action throttle and it was a great bike. It would go wherever I (at 72kg) wanted it to go and would go places in the correct hands that I would not want to go. It needed the revs but was very willing and felt very nimble and light handling and yet was essentially the same weight as the 200, 250, 290 Evo. It taught me better skills.

Now with the 200, there is more power but it is "softer" power, appears to have more tractable low down power and doesn't need the revs to go the same rock steps, logs and climbs and more that I was doing on the 125. It seems smoother (it has a slow action throttle on it, so that may help that feeling), but I haven't yet felt the need for a fast action.

A happy Evo 200 rider. :)

The 200 Beta has always been the most underated bike -John Lampkin rode them all the time and consequently it is most likely that the UK is the biggest market for them due to the softer, more controllable power enjoyed by most of us who don't want our arms pulling out.

Everyone who tries one comments on the fact that they are more relaxing to ride and do everything required but in a more controllable way.

The Evo is a bit sharper than the old Rev-3 200, but with a slow action throttle and the power map switch on position 1, they will do anything you want and pull from nowhere.

Just for interest ; I'm enjoying riding in France at moment on my little (pony!) no 200 evo... It is very different from 200 available here... more power & tourque....we think probably UK bikes not being subject to homologation "stuff" has heavier flywheel and ignition timing more advanced... I.m 84 kilos and it pulls all gears up to 4 in sections as good as any...I've always been a bit throttle happy so it suits me better than a big un. Only negatives regarding beta generally are poorly designed/manufactured and overpriced rear mudguard and of course the electrics/stator. Both these issues must be cost/profit related .i.e considered more profitable to sell them like they are than to sort it out. I.ve found it effective to dismantle the clutch plates every few rides, just so they'll seperate WHEN you want them to ..not a millisecond after you pull the lever... I'm sure its just oil film and flatness of friction surfaces that causes stiction and would wellcome other solutions.

The 200 Beta has always been the most underated bike -John Lampkin rode them all the time and consequently it is most likely that the UK is the biggest market for them due to the softer, more controllable power enjoyed by most of us who don't want our arms pulling out.

Everyone who tries one comments on the fact that they are more relaxing to ride and do everything required but in a more controllable way.

The Evo is a bit sharper than the old Rev-3 200, but with a slow action throttle and the power map switch on position 1, they will do anything you want and pull from nowhere.

Totally agree, rode a 200 Evo at a trial between changing my Evo 250's and found it to be excellent. Got caught out once on a hillclimb when I didn't give it enough but that was my fault!