When Sections Were Proper Sections?

gizza5

I am still a firm believer in the more sensible sections resulting from the no stop rules. When less than 15 riders are participating in the World class sections there needs to be changes made. The severity level of sections set up with no stop in mind would result in greater participation at that level and improve ridership at all levels of competition. On the local level riders (those who work and have families) would be more encouraged to ride. In my district the ridership is dwindling more and more each year. Over the years the number of riders has deteriorated from normal levels of 75-100 down to 25-35 riders per event. The interest in vintage events appear to be increasing each year. These events run no stop rules and and have more sensible sections. If changes are not made soon trials interest will completely disappear in just a few years. Now is the time to make the necessary changes to save the sport.

I am still a firm believer in the more sensible sections resulting from the no stop rules. When less than 15 riders are participating in the World class sections there needs to be changes made. The severity level of sections set up with no stop in mind would result in greater participation at that level and improve ridership at all levels of competition. On the local level riders (those who work and have families) would be more encouraged to ride. In my district the ridership is dwindling more and more each year. Over the years the number of riders has deteriorated from normal levels of 75-100 down to 25-35 riders per event. The interest in vintage events appear to be increasing each year. These events run no stop rules and and have more sensible sections. If changes are not made soon trials interest will completely disappear in just a few years. Now is the time to make the necessary changes to save the sport.

So you think "stop for 5" is gonna change that? :rolleyes:

As a teenager I went to the World round run by West of England club on Dartmoor in about 77 or 78

It was tough, but I was amazed at the skills and encouraged me to practice more as a schoolboy rider

The entry was huge 100 + riders including the local Expert club riders who I saw week in, week out at Club trials

Tha is what a World round is all about, not 15 top riders

The sooner we get back to a full entry, the better it can be

As a teenager I went to the World round run by West of England club on Dartmoor in about 77 or 78

It was tough, but I was amazed at the skills and encouraged me to practice more as a schoolboy rider

The entry was huge 100 + riders including the local Expert club riders who I saw week in, week out at Club trials

Tha is what a World round is all about, not 15 top riders

The sooner we get back to a full entry, the better it can be

What changes would you make to increase participation at the very top level?

Name one rider who would participate with these changes.

Name one rider who will participate at the top level if the rules went no stop?

What changes would you make to increase participation at the very top level?

Name one rider who would participate with these changes.

I don't know, things were different back then - there was less money in the sport back then, I guess and the WTC was in it's infancy - so people would have a crack at it, down to the Club expert rider who'd turn up on a Bult 325 on the back of a Ford Capri, as long as he had a relevant licence to compete

A good example of that sort of camaraderie/competition 30 years ago, IS today's Scott and SSDT trials that still capture that essence of the sport of Trials

SSDT & Scott - Money isn't in it, there are no TV rights - a good club rider can get a new bike out of a crate, run it in and start alongside a factory works rider on a trick bike.............they can ride the same section, one route and the club rider can at the end's cards record the same score as the factory rider perhaps

That's the sport, that's the craic and that's why it's so popular and over-subscribed year on year

Joe Public can compete alongside their sporting heroes, if they so choose

One route, one man, one bike and winner takes all

Compare that to some contrived, super human sections in WTC, that only 15 of the world's top riders can manage, because they ride everyday to attain that skill level on supertrick bikes

That formula is becoming boring, even an avid trials rider is starting to find watching it, so boring

Perhaps we will go full circle, who knows

30 year's ago a British round of the WTC was like a Scott or SSDT, it was one man, one bike and one route - but although the sections were harder, even a club Expert could put in a decent ride on his home turf and live the dream of riding amongst the best in the world....... that day

Sadly that is no longer true today in WTC and Trials is for that....... a lot poorer