#1 b40rt

b40rt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,958 posts
  • Club:Foot.....Dalmellington.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

BP4ES plugs are hard to come by (unless you know differently)so I was using a Champion N16Y which is the equivalent. Now they seem to be in short supply but I can get N16YC. The question is, although I know the C stands for copper, does it make any difference ?

Thanks

Ross

Edited by B40RT, 16 February 2012 - 09:58 AM.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. Mark Twain

Ads By Google User is online

Ads By Google
  • Ad Bots

Don't want these Ads? Why not help support TC and sign up as a Trials Central Supporter?

#2 monty_jon

monty_jon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Bike:BSA C15 / Bultaco
  • Club:Stratford-upon-Avon

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

BP4ES plugs are hard to come by (unless you know differently)so I was using a Champion N16Y which is the equivalent. Now they seem to be in short supply but I can get N16YC. The question is, although I know the C stands for copper, does it make any difference ?

Thanks

Ross

The NGK are also copper core, that’s what the ‘S’ is in BP4ES

I can get you the BOSCH equivalent plugs if that helps?

Edited by Monty_Jon, 16 February 2012 - 10:42 AM.

#3 b40rt

b40rt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,958 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

The NGK are also copper core, that’s what the ‘S’ is in BP4ES

I can get you the BOSCH equivalent plugs if that helps?

Thanks Monty_Jon, actually ordered some Champions before your kind offer to supply.(in edit)

Ross

Edited by B40RT, 16 February 2012 - 02:57 PM.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. Mark Twain

#4 1oldbanjo

1oldbanjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Bike:2009 Sherco 3.2
  • Club:None

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

I have tried all the fancy and expensive plugs once in my life - platinum electrodes, 2, 3 & 4 electrodes, surface gap.....v shaped electrodes.....anything with a wonderful claim I once tried when I was young an foolish. Turns out.......it really doesn't make much noticeable difference in the standard low stressed production motorcycle engine. A good old standard Champion, Bosch or NGK seem to work just fine as long as they are the correct heat range and proper reach.

I do believe that the newer spark plugs with the small platinum or other fancy tips last longer as they don't round off over time like the standard plugs - but those newer plugs are expensive and the standard plugs can be replaced often as they are very cheap.

#5 b40rt

b40rt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,958 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

Thanks 1oldbanjo.

#6 jon v8

jon v8

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 1,021 posts
  • Bike:HT5, AJS.Ty's
  • Club:Bath Classic

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

I have tried all the fancy and expensive plugs once in my life - platinum electrodes, 2, 3 & 4 electrodes, surface gap.....v shaped electrodes.....anything with a wonderful claim I once tried when I was young an foolish. Turns out.......it really doesn't make much noticeable difference in the standard low stressed production motorcycle engine. A good old standard Champion, Bosch or NGK seem to work just fine as long as they are the correct heat range and proper reach.

I do believe that the newer spark plugs with the small platinum or other fancy tips last longer as they don't round off over time like the standard plugs - but those newer plugs are expensive and the standard plugs can be replaced often as they are very cheap.

I would add to that - my experience in my working life fixing Land Rovers is that the platinum tipped plugs make the rest of the ignition system work harder.V8 Range Rovers and Discoveries often come to me with LPG problems.The first thing I tend to do with them is to scope the plug leads with an inductive clamp.They always show a much higher peak voltage with the platinum plugs,often resulting in burnt out plug leads and coil tops in some.Just going back to an ordinary plug brings the voltage right down.My thinking is that a Rover V8 is a dodgy old Buick - not exactly a high performance unit,it just needs a reliable spark,not a massive one.
And it works,they run well on the ordinary plugs,plus the leads cope better,esp in damp conditions.

#7 gautrek

gautrek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Club:VMCC,CoC ,panther owners club

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

BP4ES plugs are hard to come by

have you tried here
green spark plug company

Edited by gautrek, 16 February 2012 - 08:34 PM.

1937 350cc Red Panther trial bike
1976 M66 Ural outfit
1983 R80 BMW
Coming soon a 1937 ISH model 85 Redwing 350 cc Panther

#8 b40rt

b40rt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,958 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

have you tried here
green spark plug company

Yes thanks, got my last one's from them but out of stock, so ordered from

http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users