Bp4Es

b40rt

BP4ES plugs are hard to come by (unless you know differently)so I was using a Champion N16Y which is the equivalent. Now they seem to be in short supply but I can get N16YC. The question is, although I know the C stands for copper, does it make any difference ?

Thanks

Ross

Edited by B40RT

BP4ES plugs are hard to come by (unless you know differently)so I was using a Champion N16Y which is the equivalent. Now they seem to be in short supply but I can get N16YC. The question is, although I know the C stands for copper, does it make any difference ?

Thanks

Ross

The NGK are also copper core, that’s what the ‘S’ is in BP4ES

I can get you the BOSCH equivalent plugs if that helps?

Edited by Monty_Jon

The NGK are also copper core, that’s what the ‘S’ is in BP4ES

I can get you the BOSCH equivalent plugs if that helps?

Thanks Monty_Jon, actually ordered some Champions before your kind offer to supply.(in edit)

Ross

Edited by B40RT

I have tried all the fancy and expensive plugs once in my life - platinum electrodes, 2, 3 & 4 electrodes, surface gap.....v shaped electrodes.....anything with a wonderful claim I once tried when I was young an foolish. Turns out.......it really doesn't make much noticeable difference in the standard low stressed production motorcycle engine. A good old standard Champion, Bosch or NGK seem to work just fine as long as they are the correct heat range and proper reach.

I do believe that the newer spark plugs with the small platinum or other fancy tips last longer as they don't round off over time like the standard plugs - but those newer plugs are expensive and the standard plugs can be replaced often as they are very cheap.

I have tried all the fancy and expensive plugs once in my life - platinum electrodes, 2, 3 & 4 electrodes, surface gap.....v shaped electrodes.....anything with a wonderful claim I once tried when I was young an foolish. Turns out.......it really doesn't make much noticeable difference in the standard low stressed production motorcycle engine. A good old standard Champion, Bosch or NGK seem to work just fine as long as they are the correct heat range and proper reach.

I do believe that the newer spark plugs with the small platinum or other fancy tips last longer as they don't round off over time like the standard plugs - but those newer plugs are expensive and the standard plugs can be replaced often as they are very cheap.

I would add to that - my experience in my working life fixing Land Rovers is that the platinum tipped plugs make the rest of the ignition system work harder.V8 Range Rovers and Discoveries often come to me with LPG problems.The first thing I tend to do with them is to scope the plug leads with an inductive clamp.They always show a much higher peak voltage with the platinum plugs,often resulting in burnt out plug leads and coil tops in some.Just going back to an ordinary plug brings the voltage right down.My thinking is that a Rover V8 is a dodgy old Buick - not exactly a high performance unit,it just needs a reliable spark,not a massive one.

And it works,they run well on the ordinary plugs,plus the leads cope better,esp in damp conditions.