Trials Shocks

gordo

I'm sure this topic is similar to asking what type of oil you use, but I'll ask anyhow.

I have a Penton/Wassell trials bike that I've been competing with regularly. Right now I have an old set of Betor shocks I took off my Ossa MAR. I want to replace these old Betors with a modern style shock, and would like some opinions from you folks as to what you would recommend. The only thing I do know is I've seen new Betors that didn't make it through a season (bent). And I've read about others leaking.

Any advice will be appreciated.

They will all bend if the bike gets crashed the right way.

Another thought is that modern Betors are not that much better in damping action than original OSSA MAR Betor shocks so don't expect a huge improvement. I quite like the OSSA MAR Betor shocks I have on one of my Yamahas

Some modern shocks will leak oil if the shockie is put into axial bending as the suspension moves (due to not being mounted properly).

Some modern shocks need the gas pressure maintained to make the seals work properly. This has also led to some people having problems with oil leaking from the shocks.

I have had a very good run from four sets of Falcon Classic trials shocks. The only problems have have been from bending one (due to crashing), and the bottoming cushions only lasted a couple of years. The damping action of the Falcons is noticably better than the 1970s OSSA MAR Betors.

not me damn it,,,,,,,,, staying with works performance shocks, by the way,has anyone bent a shaft or blown a seal with WP shocks? just curious anythings possible! Mine are going on 3rd season now... that or I'm or

not riding hard enough. stock units will never be good enough and no WP shocks are not cheap.....or falcons or rock shocks etc. lot of good companies making shocks out there.

Make sure whoever you speak with knows what "trials" means, and are rebuildable. Translation.....this will not be cheap for el primo shocks!

dgraf

Yikes, I can't believe it. 227 views and only one offer of advice. Guess everyone likes old Betors or new Falcons.

Thanks feetupfun.

In the end it depends on how serious you are with your riding, how competitive you want to be and how hard you ride.

If you want a good competitive shock for a reasonable price, that works well and has a proven record, then buy steel bodied Falcons. I'm not sure of the price in the US but here in the UK they are pretty well unbeatable in terms of performance for price.

I can't comment on WP as never tried them. Again, no idea of price of Betors in the US but here, the alloy betors (not really alloy at all, only the end caps, the bodies are steel) are more expensive than Falcons and not as good. The old style black body Betors are slightly cheaper than Falcons but not as good.

As for origianl OEM Betors, there is no way they will be as good as Falcons.

Do the new Rock Shocks have a "heim type joint" at the mountings like the NJB trikshocks ? I can't tell from the photo's I've seen of them .

Thanks

Glenn

Rubber bushes on mine, might not be as good as "heim" when both new, but should last for years and cheap to replace.