Now What Class Would You Put This In. Pre70, Twinshock, Difficult One Rules Wise.

old trials fanatic

The "rebuild" was done with some efford but not finished I would say.

Quoted from the seller: "The disk brakes are original, ... "(original from which period, bike, ... ??? I will only believe this by proof, never heard from a trials machine from 1967 with disk brakes??? but if someone know, show and tell there is no problem to educate me ),

If the front brake is not contemporary the bike would not be legal at most events in Germany.

The exhaust looks strange and unfinshed too, the tank appears to be very large, it looks unbalanced in first view, the pic's aren't the best and the rest of the bike is hided in the shadow, (may be better so). A good project bike for further building up for sure.

My memory isnt too clever,but isnt there a pic of Don Smith riding a Cheetah like this - cant remember if it may have had a Cub engine in it though.I dont have a problem with it,be very welcome in our unit class.Lets face it early disc brakes were crap anyway,so it would probably be better a modern Cub replica hub.

Cant find that pic,but I have just found one of Mick Whitlock in the 1967 SSDT riding one - clearly fitted with a disc brake..... :popcorn:

Yes Cheetah did have a disc brake it was a one off I remember seeing it at the SSDT as part of the Cheetah Team there was very few normal models built as Villers stopped supplying engines

Two friends of mine had them, one still has, but neither had discs fitted although as previously said they were an option back in the late 60's but to the best of my knowledge at that time, and i was competing way back then too, i never saw one in our area but they were a factory available option when you ordered your kit.

Looks like i may have to amend the clubs rules again :chairfall: i did think think about this particular Cheetah option when i wrote the rules but as i had never actually seen one competing since the late 60's i didnt think there were any left.

Just goes to prove theres always something going to bite your bum when you least expect it. You wait somebody will turn up on a monoshock OSSA next :popcorn:

Edited by Old trials fanatic

When it is contemporary than is OK, the grandfathering agreement here allows the exceptional of the principle, as we have a lot of self build bikes from the 60's and 70', like the Becker Montesa from 1979 f.e.:

Becker-Montesa%252002.jpg

which was with mono suspension and the frame including the gas tank much ahead of the time.

The "rebuild" was done with some efford but not finished I would say.

Quoted from the seller: "The disk brakes are original, ... "(original from which period, bike, ... ??? I will only believe this by proof, never heard from a trials machine from 1967 with disk brakes??? but if someone know, show and tell there is no problem to educate me ),

If the front brake is not contemporary the bike would not be legal at most events in Germany.

The exhaust looks strange and unfinshed too, the tank appears to be very large, it looks unbalanced in first view, the pic's aren't the best and the rest of the bike is hided in the shadow, (may be better so). A good project bike for further building up for sure.

Well ,thats what bikes where like in 1967 ! pre spanish invasion.

Just to put the record straight, the bike is fairly close to original,

the disc front brake ,cable operated,was an option,made by REH,as where the forks,

and barrel on the example on ebay, tank is correct,the exaust is not quite correct,and it would have had a

alloy sidepanel on one side.

Most where 1967 with the greeves square alloy barrel,

Two friends of mine had them, one still has, but neither had discs fitted although as previously said they were an option back in the late 60's but to the best of my knowledge at that time, and i was competing way back then too, i never saw one in our area but they were a factory available option when you ordered your kit.

Looks like i may have to amend the clubs rules again :chairfall: i did think think about this particular Cheetah option when i wrote the rules but as i had never actually seen one competing since the late 60's i didnt think there were any left.

Just goes to prove theres always something going to bite your bum when you least expect it. You wait somebody will turn up on a monoshock OSSA next :popcorn:

Monoshock Ossa,I could unbolt one of the shocks on the gripper for next Sundays trial. :D

In Spain it can not race in classics as it has brake disk. Just trials with aircolled monoshocks categories and racing against those bikes.

I like that barrel !!!!!

I know what you mean most Classic rules prohibit disc brakes too but it is as was available to be bought by me you or anybody else in the late 60's so is it right not to allow it in ?