Now What Class Would You Put This In. Pre70, Twinshock, Difficult One Rules Wise.

old trials fanatic

I know what you mean most Classic rules prohibit disc brakes too but it is as was available to be bought by me you or anybody else in the late 60's so is it right not to allow it in ?

Tis interesting! Out of interest what year approximately did the clamp on talon disc brake conversions appear? Mid 80's??

I know what you mean most Classic rules prohibit disc brakes too but it is as was available to be bought by me you or anybody else in the late 60's so is it right not to allow it in ?

I was first a little bit suspicious about the disc brake, (had the Honda CB 750 FOUR in mind as one of the first bikes that was delivered with a disc brake in 1969 as standard production bike), anyway as some posted that this Cheetah had them earlier and I'am not familiar with this brand I would say yes as it is part of the history of the bike itself.

The bike might be be ahead in technical standards in comparison to others from the same era but when this was already 45 years ago so too you can't exclude it in my opinion as it has the right to operate in non-compliance under a variance or continuation permit, (hope this is the right expression in German it's Bestandsschutz).

It would be something different if the bike is fitted with a technical improvement that was already illegal for use back then.

As a comparison for this we had a two wheel driven SWM, that was used in the beginning eighties in national trials. This bike was foreclosed from national trials competition after some events. A very unique construction that was reliable too but had so many advantages back then compared to other bikes that this type of additional drive was not allowed.

Allrad%252004.jpg

If I ran a club or was responsible for the rules I would let the bike compete with the disc. It is how it was back in 1967, it is a period fitment, it cannot be excluded. I'm sure there was another bike around this time that experimented with a dis but I can't recall which one.

There are always going to be small anomolies and exceptions to rules, or the norm. Situations like these have to be looked at realistically. Anyone could have ridden that bike with the disc fitted in the 60s, that is sufficient to allow it. It is a period fitment not a modern addition.

The purpose of banning discs in general is to prevent people putting modern disc brakes on their bikes which would give a huge advantage in machine control over drum brakes. The rule simply has to be that if a disc was fitted as a standard fitment, then that same specification disc only can be used. Modern replacements are not allowed.

You wouldn't really want to compete with it usiing that disc arrangement though would you - the disc on its own looks as heavy as a modern Cub....

It's like the Cantilever Ossa. It competed in 1975/6 and was availble to a few riders. If those bikes still exist they should be allowed to compete again alongside bikes from that era, just as they did - as long as the same specification system is used and not converted to a modern arrangement. It's still nowhere near as competitive as later twinshocks and probably not much better than the standard bike is with modern shocks fitted.

Making it compete against Monoshock Yams, TR34 Betas and 305 Fantics just lacks common sense to me.

Well all this bikes are a bit of trial's history.Anyway when these guy's want's to ride their bikes in classic trials,we have to make a special class,maybe you call it the "Evo"Class or whatever.For bikes like the Becker Montesa,Cheetah's,cantilever Ossa's and Yamaha OW 10's,and of courese the 2 wheel driven bikes.I remember in 84/85 when we were all on Mono yamahas a lot of the german dealer's coverted 240 and 300 Fantic's in mono bikes,because Fantic was on Twinshock at that time.It was only Beta and Yamaha going the Mono way.Even a guy over here converted a SWM Jumbo to a Mono.

Cheers:Mike

I had a couple of yam ty monos the last one was in 1988 white frame one, i improved the front brake with a cable that the outer went right down to the brake plate. then i bought a yz125 brake plate with the arm on the outside, that was a big improvement.

Then i bought a new wheel with a disc brake thinking it was the latest thing and just had to be the best.It was rubbish! No power or feel, the yz125 plate was the best.

Sorry just seen this...

Dunno when Talon conversion came out, i'd have said 1986-87. The Talon idea was on paper poor (wobbly/floaty single piston caliper) but I believe they worked OK.

Like Bisby I had a Shirty disc conversion. Well I had it for 1 ride!!!! It was an excellent ABS system!