A Couple More 200 Rebuild Questions

johnh

Right then, I have replaced the clutch cover and I need to know when and how tight to do up the bolt passing throught the case below the kick start

20022012132.jpg

My other problem is to do with the thread on the flywheel side of the crank shaft. It has seen better days, can it be repaired or am I looking for another crankshaft?

20022012134.jpg

Cheers

John

The bolt is the kickstart return stop so it needs tightning after you have turned the kickstart half a turn or so, shine a torch up the hole so you can see it, tighten it the same as sump plug.

Crank thread has seen better days yes! That nut does need to be tight! or flywheel key will sheer.

As long as you have a good spring washer behind the nut you will be ok with that thread. my instalation procedure is; Clean taper with fine emery strip and clean in flywheel shaft, fit woodruff key. Fit flywheel on shaft making sure its aligned and screw nut on finger tight then fit slightly oversize socket on nut and give socket one good hit with a lump hammer, then tighten nut with correct size socket till tight. Then back to oversize socket and give it another hit. Then tighten nut again, I try not to use the nut to pull flywheel onto shaft only to hold it tight when its on.

Right then, I have replaced the clutch cover and I need to know when and how tight to do up the bolt passing throught the case below the kick start

20022012132.jpg

My other problem is to do with the thread on the flywheel side of the crank shaft. It has seen better days, can it be repaired or am I looking for another crankshaft?

20022012134.jpg

Cheers

John

You could try bill pye or steve goode or bob wright for a good used one , or keep looking at fleebay .....

Thanks for the replies fella's. I have found a local engineer who is going to have a look at it and I will speak to Bill Pye about a new/recon one. Treevor I am a little wary about taking a hammer to the flywheel as the crankshaft is balanced and is sitting in bearings that are housed in alloy, but thanks any way.