Base Gasket

wrmec

Make sure you drain the cooling system first. Get new o-rings for the head. You should be able to get the gasket off without removing the piston but if you do remove the piston it is a good idea to replace the wrist pin clips with new ones.

Check the sealing surfaces - particularly in the area where it was leaking to be sure there is no scratches or erosion that will cause a new gasket to leak in the same place.

Remember that there are different thicknesses of gasket and that they are used to adjust the squish height which affects compression ratios and power. Some people just use the thickest standard gasket to make the job easier. This would lower the compression which will reduce both pinging and power.

Don't drop anything down into the bottom end and be sure to use a torque wrench to tighten the head bolts. I like to use a good anti-sieze on the threads. Retorque the head after a few hours of running.

you don't need to take the head off, you can take the cylinder off with head still attached.

sounds like its too late for that.

I did this last weekend to my gas gas, left the head on, took barrel off complete, ,

cleaned up the piston, new thicker base gasket,(two actually)took about an hour.

Cured the pinking/pinging

TLTEL

Squirt some oil down the plug hole, and turn the engine over do the piston is at the bottom of its stroke. After the four nuts are undone (and the ally brace is removed) it should lift / slide off fairly easily, a bit of moderate resistance at first then it'll pop off. A couple of gentle taps with a rubber mallet will help break the base gasket seal.

Edited by tankygsy