Legal Use Uk

frogger

I just have mine turned rought down to below walking speed when en route to the park then turn it up once there. I'm sure, unless you get a harsh policeman that if you respect other people you should be fine. its not loud enough to attract peoples attention. the only problem I had was last week when the bike drew the attention of two 13 year olds on a pw 50 screaming round the streets with no helmet on then hanging round near my child at the park. I was abit concerned they would draw unwanted attention and people thinking they were with me so took the bike home.

Edited by jonnybmac

I was under the impression that they were a bit of a grey area because they don't fall under any particular category and being small and quiet you would think they would not present much or a problem (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_180320). Where I live we have a green which is used for all sorts of sports by mostly young kids and families. Everyone is very friendly, I am sure we won't have a problem but it would be better to know if we fall within the law I case of a altercation.

An OSET would not be classed as an Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycle, due to the lack of pedals.

However quiet or inoffensive a powered two wheeler may be, and even if its use is generally accepted by other users of land on which you take it, its use on common land/waste land or public leisure areas is almost certainly illegal, unless the local Borough Council has designated the land for such use. Section 38 of the Road Traffic Act applies.

Warwickshire police have produced a useful leaflet for parents of youngsters aiming to use powered two wheelers off road. The essence of this is: don't bother trying. See www.warwickshire.police.uk/crimeprevention/Comsafty/motorbikeleaflet for a helpful list of Q and A's on the subject.

i was advised that as they were electric that it was okay as they are like the electric buggy that my disabled father in law happily rides on the road on the path in the supermarket etc..

HOWEVER digging deeper that is all ILLEGAL as electrcic buggys and motorcycles come to that are classed as mechanically propelled vehicles for which you muct be licensecd and insured to use on the public highway roads paths and anything 20 yards either side of..

The whole electric bike laws are a mine field. a E-cycle with working peddals can be riden on the roads or wherever a normal cycle can be ridden as long as the power of the motor is not over 250W and the top speed ( electric only ) do not exceed 15mph the rider must also be 14 years of age or over, any electric bike without peddles will be classed as a motor cycle and the same laws apply as to gas bikes ( no matter how slow or small they are even the little toy 12v sit on elecy bikes from toys r us) and this also applies to the little elecy toy cars. I have spoken to a local Councillor about the use of e-bikes at bmx tracks, skate board parks and urban parks and he said that he could not foresee any problems getting permission to legally ride these smaller ( slower ) e-bikes at these places.

Edit:

Having said that I have never had a problem riding my offroad E-bikes up the local park or up the local woods and people are generally interested about the tech and want to know more about it rather than running off to phone the police.

Edited by gwhy

+1 illegal the Police do have the right to impound and destroy motorised bikes being ridden illegally ...

Stafffordshire police have a zero tolerance when it come to illegal riding mainly to do with the massive import of Chinese mini Motos that every Chav and his dog had tearing up the local parks :)

See link for UK law for E powered vehicles ...

http://www.volomoto.com/index.php?mainpanel=a04

Edited by pipster

I get it but I still think it's utterly ridiculous for a 12-16inch wheeled electric bike not to be allowed to be ridden in public areas where kids are legally able to ride their pushbikes for example. They pose no greater risk and don't go any faster.

I get it but I still think it's utterly ridiculous for a 12-16inch wheeled electric bike not to be allowed to be ridden in public areas where kids are legally able to ride their pushbikes for example. They pose no greater risk and don't go any faster.

I agree when I was a kid I had an old knackered Puch maxi field bike we would push them up to an old disused gravel pit and tear around for hours on end racing my mates on Honda bog seats and any old scrap bikes we could get hold of :)

Our local Bobby would often drive by and have the Craic as long as we didn't ride them home he left us alone ...

Way to many rule and regulations these days how have we let it happen :(

I agree when I was a kid I had an old knackered Puch maxi field bike we would push them up to an old disused gravel pit and tear around for hours on end racing my mates on Honda bog seats and any old scrap bikes we could get hold of :)

Our local Bobby would often drive by and have the Craic as long as we didn't ride them home he left us alone ...

Way to many rule and regulations these days how have we let it happen :(

We let it happen by tolerating eejits on noisy bikes for too long such that it got to be too much for Joe Public who complained in ever increasing numbers. In short, we brought it on ourselves, as we were often told we would.

Ah ha - you asked THE question!! You have had the very clear reply from someone very well informed in Mr Cleanorbust ;)

Its a motorbike and nobody in authority is going to care or put in the effort to accoommodate us. We must operate under the radar me thinks!

Personally I have a piece of parkland nearby where kids have created a BMX track in the woods, we wonder over at walking pace, very respectful of folks and dogs and quietly go about our business. Houses overlook the area but any audience is always curious, not hostile. Yes Mr Plod could take a dim view, but a suitable apology, a promise not to return, (and if you are not in Warwickshire) a "I'm sorry I wasn't aware" with a big smile from your daughter should help.

It took years for local authorities to acknowledge skate boards and BMX and create parks for them. The bike trials guys have to operate under the same conditions as us.

Edited by NineFives

Give a few years and the E trials bike will be on a par with a 2/4 stroke bike Hopefully :)

Joe public won't be able to moan then about noisy offroad events and fingers crossed new venues will become a lot easier to get approved ...

Just look how the mountain bike scene has grown over the last few years . Trail centers all over the UK down hill riders going at speeds faster than David Knight all this is

possible because they are silent no noise no one gets p****d off :)

Edited by pipster

Have you been on any mountain bikr forums? People do get p****d off, to the extent of seting up cheesewires as they do for motorcyclists, putting logs across the trail etc. They see the creation of trails as an imposition on their use of the land.