Mikuni On Tlr 200

bashplate

hi guys, have a look at these pictures of the carb on a tlr 200 i just bought. not sure if a genuine mik or not? there's no numbers on it, but it has pilot fuel screw rather than the usual tlr pilot air screw set up.what ever, it starts and runs real nice, just wondered if it was a known tlr mod, or something someone has tried on their own and it works.

DSCF8609.jpg

DSCF8610.jpg

DSCF8611.jpg

DSCF8612.jpg

DSCF8613.jpg

DSCF8614.jpg

Edited by bashplate

Hi..dont think that is a Mikuni, even though it says Mikuni on it in three places. Pretty sure it is one of the chinese knockoffs available off the bay.

that was my toughts mark, but not been a mikuni expert, i thought i would put it out there for more comment.

Hi bashplate,

it looks like a Mikuni PZ22. You will find a lot of cheap china copies on Internet. If your TLR runs well it is the right stuff. I got a Keihin copy and my TLR runs well too.

Rollox

thanks for that rollox. i googled pz22 and it's a dead ringer for this carb, are they a 'copy'....if so i'm guessing the genuine mikuni jets will fit? seems to run good, i'll know better after the weekend when i'll have a go at some proper sections.

• 3 weeks later...

bugger, had the carb apart today and the needle fell out....along with a tiny plastic washer. question is, does the washer go under the needle clip, or on top? it's needed some where in there to make up the depth of the counter bore in the slide as the depth of the counter bore is more than the thickness of the clip (if you get my drift). the washer is around the same thickness as a clip groove....so getting it the right or wrong side will make a difference. i put it back in with washer under needle clip and had a quick blip around the garden and it seemed ok. will see what a longer test reveals. tried to look for an exploded veiw of the pz22, but nothing came up.

• 3 weeks later...

ok, bike running very good at low to mid range, think the top end needs some tweeking though....so.....anyone out there know if a mikuni main jet of say #95, flows the same as a keihin#95? guess some of you will think why compare? just put bigger or smaller jets in and have done with it, and that is true, but was just curious as to weather the number gradings were in any way similar?

Edited by bashplate

cheers rollox, i'd been scouring the web thisarvo, and found similar charts to those.....has answered my question anyway. i've got a 97.5 mikuni jet in it, which flows the same as a 108 keihin. just means i can get my head around the diferent carb specs a bit easyer now. :icon_salut:

• 1 month later...

Bashplate,

I've just found this forum and Interested in how you got on with the carb, I've just bought one of these for my 200 Hi boy.

You said it ran well at low RPM, what size pilot do you have in it? mine came with #15

Main is a #95, did the 97.5 main make any difference?

Like you I find it hard not to think in terms of the Keihins I'm used to. (which is why 15 sounds so small!)

cheers

Nick

nick, can't remember off the top of my head....will check when I get home tonight.

ok, here we go....pilot 30

needle jet M

needle groove #1 (needle in lowest possition)

slide 2.0

main 97.5

still not happy with top end running, but been too busy to sort out, first half of throttle good though. hope this is of some help.

cheers trev

Edited by bashplate

Also interested in this post because I gave up trying to get a Keilhin PWK running on my TLR250 and RTL some time ago. I found this thread on Yahoo answers that lead me to believe that it was going to be a fruitless task.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091204023738AAGy7nG

I just couldn’t get the midrange right and once it started to bog down in the midrange it lost the top end. About all I was happy with was tick over, so I went back to the original Keilhin PE. Put the nail in the coffin when I spoke to Allens performance who said that the PWK was primarily a 2-stroke carb and although I would be able to get it working on a 4-stroke there would have to be some compromises.

Interested if you’ve got this to work cleanly throughout the rev range.

• 1 month later...

I've just ordered one of these Carbs, is the standard jetting compatible with the TLR 200?

not sure what jetting they come with, as the carb was on the bike when i got it...and the previous owner and one before that hadn't fitted it....so no idea where it came from or what jets it came with. are you just getting it off evil bay, or is it from a shop selling specificly for the TLR? be interested to see what arrives and how it works....not done any more at mine due to riding other stuff...but will get it sorted one day.keep us posted mark.

My carb arrived this morning, popped it on, it was a bit of a struggle because it's a little bit longer than the original Keihn. Put in a fresh plug and it fired up straight away, altered the idle and leaned off the mixture a touch and it was bloody spot on. I only took it round the block but it was much better than the old carb, revved cleanly from low revs and pulls like a train, a big improvement! A very cheap mod (