Mikuni On Tlr 200

bashplate

ok bud, now take it apart and give us the vital statistics on all the settings.

I don't fancy taking it all to bits again dude, it took me a couple of hours to get it all together and running! The wife kept popping in asking me to do stuff as well as the kids pestering me to fettle push bikes and scooters! When it stops running it will be taken to bits, I don't get much time to tinker in the garage, sorry man!

Well, I went out for a play doing a few sections with the new carb on and it seems to cough stall when you roll up to an incline and open the throttle it splutters and then goes, is there any way I could tune this out of the carb or is it scrap?

Cheers Mark.

Edited by markmoyer

try richening the pilot screw first....remember on this carb it is a fuel screw, NOT an air screw, so turn it out to richen the mix. also wondering what state your air filter is in?

you can get into the carb without removing from the bike, if you take the float bowl off you'll be able to get at the pilot and main jets, also the needle jet,(to see what the numbers are). also take the top of the carb and you can get the slide out and see what cut away it has and what the needle number is and what possition the clip is.

Edited by bashplate

nick, can't remember off the top of my head....will check when I get home tonight.

ok, here we go....pilot 30

needle jet M

needle groove #1 (needle in lowest possition)

slide 2.0

main 97.5

still not happy with top end running, but been too busy to sort out, first half of throttle good though. hope this is of some help.

cheers trev

Hi guys

just getting around to having another look at this carbie. to add to the above seetings I can add that the'oval' throat is 25mm tall and 18mm wide....the end of the carb nearest the motor is 26mm(or there abouts), so does this mean it's a PZ26 and not a PZ22 ? I've put a different piece of foam on the filter side as the bodge that was on looked restrictive,which may have been causing the crap wide throttle operation. Will hopefuly get some time at the weekend for a play with the settings.

cheers, Trev

Right, took the new carb to pieces to have a look at the jetting, the pilot jet is 15, main jet is 95 and a number 2 slide. I'm going to order a 30 pilot jet and a 100 main jet, I have put the needle on its highest setting, does this sound about right?

Cheers Mark.

hey Mark, I went and did some testing on the TLR today and it did run much better at the top half of the throttle with the propper type air filter on. the one that had been on was a bodge up that restricted the amount of air the motor could gulp in at higher revs, lifted needle to middle groove too. what i also learnt was that to get the motor to run nice at the bottom end the pilot mix screw was only a quarter of a turn out from the fully in position!!!!!!!!! this would suggest that the pilot jet is TOO BIG and proberbly need to drop down at least 1 if not 2 sizes on that. so taking that into account may be you only need to go up to a 20? What was your pilot screw setting with the 15? I think the idea is to get the motor sweet in the 1 - 2 1/2 turns out....either side of that tells you if the pilot jet is too big or too small. another thing i noticed while i had the carb off, was that one of the wee air intakes ( the 1 at 3 0'clock as you look at the 'bell mouth' end,) was masked by the sharp kink in the rubber boot which clamps to the intake of the carb. if this is indeed the pilot air intake, it may be making my pilot mix rich as not enough air is getting in the mix, so i have to compensate by cutting the fuel right back to quarter turn? comments please from other carb tune wizards would be most welcome . are all TLR rubber boots like this or has mine got kinked a bit more with fitting the mikuni? the rubber also seemed more plasticy than rubber, is this right? and putting in warm water didn't get rid of the kink....kinda looked like that was how it was ment to be. cheers Trev

Edited by bashplate

Hi Trev,

Right, I ordered a size 30 pilot jet before I read your post and fitted it with the 97.5 main this evening, it started okay but ran really bad when revved at the top end, so I refitted the 95 main and it ran better when revved hard but not as good with the 15 pilot jet, the bottom end is a lot better and doesn't miss when the throttle is rolled on from the bottom of the rev range. I'll order the 20 pilot tomorrow and give that a go see if it will run better.

I'll keep you posted.

Mark.

Mark, where are you getting your jets from...are they standard type mikuni jets?

Hi Trev, I've spoken to John at The Twinshock Shop in Devon and he reckons the VM22 carb on the TLR runs at its best with the 15 pilot jet and an 87.5 main jet. I'm going to order an 87.5 main jet tomorrow and see how it goes over the weekend.

I get my carb parts from a company in Liverpool UK called Motocarb. www.motocarb.co.uk

His website is good as it shows images and measurements of the actual jets you have in your existing carb, so you at least know that you're ordering the right type of jet, even if you haven't a clue what size you should be ordering!

I will speak to the guy from Motocarb tomorrow and ask his advice, as he has customisation kits for alot of older bikes but unfortunately not the TLR, however he might have an idea if I'm going in the right direction!

Cheers

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

"I get my carb parts from a company in Liverpool UK called Motocarb. www.motocarb.co.uk"

thought I'd try and get some more jets for mine.....not so easy over here, so rang the motocarb guy and they arrived in 6 days and a great price too. SO fitted yesterday and went and did some sections, ran superbly everywhere exept the main jet(last quarter throttle). very smooth trickling along and instant response and the plug was a lovely tan colour. Held the throttle full whack for about 1/4 mile with the bike stuttering along and hit the kill switch.....plug looked only very slightly darker, I was expecting it to be sooty with richness, so was puzzled. jets were 20 pilot, with screw 1 full turn out, and 95 main. was wondering if i need to drop the main jet another couple of sizes still? i'm running the standard exhaust with the mid box under the air box and then curled the tail pipe out behind the shockie, even with no rear muffler fitted, it is very quiet....makes me wonder if the mid box is restricting the topend gas flow? will dig out the camera and post a picture.

tlr2.jpgtlr4.jpgtlr5.jpgtlr6.jpgtlr8.jpg

Edited by bashplate

• 1 month later...

Ok, made an ally muffler as you can see from previous pictures, more 'straight through' than standard box but not too noisey. bike ran as before...that is, real nice bottom end and revs lovely up to 3/4 throttle. then misses like it;s rich at full wack. It will take full throttle at lowish revs without stuttering, but as soon as high revs are reached it misses.Plug colour looks good, so my question now is...does the standard CDI have a rev limiter???? and the bigger carb is allowing it to get into rev limit territory.If this is the case, I have red somewhere on the web, that fitting of pit bike CDI units gives better spark and better ignition curve, and they cheep to buy.Any one know if this is so and which one suits the TLR? The bit I read (can't find it now) seemed to suggest that any with the same amount of wires coming out of it would do, anyone tried this out? Cheers Trev.

standardcdi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, latest update.....took the complete air filter out of the airbox and then made a alloy mesh and foam filter to cover the bigger than standard hole in the top of the air box. airboxtop_zpse72e6720.jpg

So, went and did some sections, lovely bottom end crappy top end, exactly as before, I'm guessing then that there's plenty of air getting in it's just not been mixed right or ignited right???

plugchop1_zps6127e4a7.jpg

plugchop2_zps2ef08974.jpg