I Want To Put My Cota 200 On The Road

vexedofverwood

Hello everyone, i want to make my Cota 200 road legal so i can actually ride it (because there's no where off road to ride it these days)

Basically it's going to be on a daytime MOT for the time being, but i need a brake light, and a magic lever which makes the light turn on when i brake.

Anybody know where i can find this sort of stuff? will it be an easy fit? and will it run off the flywheel's power because the bike doesn't have a battery.

It's got a horn, and number plate already, and it's been registered on the road before so i'm halfway there. :)

And eventually i'll be wanting front and rear lights for it also, anybody know where i can find those?

Please Help!

Thankyou :)

Not sure from your post whether you want to fit lights because you want them, or whether you think you have to have them to be legal.

The daytime MOT doesn't require lights of any kind. If they tell you that you do or that you need a rear reflector they are wrong, you don't. Nor indicators. Just a horn and a speedo. The horn can be a battery operated bicycle horn from any bike shop.

If you want lights, a brake light switch would be easy to obtain from a breakers as they are just a spring loaded pull switch with one end on the pedal, the other to a fixed point on the frame.

For other lights just look on ebay, there are loads to choose from such as aftermarket enduro bike lights or sometimes original Montesa lights will come up. You also need a switch, either a modern multi switch (enduro again or from a modern trials bike as most people remove them) or an original type which again appear on ebay from time to time. You need to know if the power is 6v or 12v and you'll need a wiring diagram from somewhere for the colour coding of the wires.

Your magneto should have wires off it for a lighting circuit. To be honest though you will be taking your life in your hands if you go out in the dark on a trials bike. The lights will not be anything like modern lights and when the revs drop so does the power = no lights....

Ahh i was sure a brake light was required for a daylight MOT... but i've just done a bit more revising, and as it turns out, you're right! lol. it's either all the lights or no lights at all! I can't even have a brake light for safety reasons because i will then need all the other lights! F**k is wrong with this country! lol.

I've got a horn, just gotta re wire it, and a speedo down by the wheel but i'm pretty sure it's not working. i'll have to have another look at it but if it is broken then i'll have to buy a new one from somewhere?

Ummm..... i've also taken the whole bike to bits to get the frame re-done, and when i took the forks off, i may have lost 1 or 2 bearings out of the steering column/stem (can you tell i'm only a nipper?) lol. Any idea where i can get some more?

Thankyou. :)

Speedo doesn't have to work for the MOT (a farce but a real bonus) just needs to be fitted but it must be in working order when you're on the road

The balls will be a standard size and you might get them from a bicycle shop. Or you can replace the head bearings completely with a taper roller set from Pyramid Bearings for about

Hello everyone, i want to make my Cota 200 road legal so i can actually ride it (because there's no where off road to ride it these days)

Basically it's going to be on a daytime MOT for the time being, but i need a brake light, and a magic lever which makes the light turn on when i brake.

Anybody know where i can find this sort of stuff? will it be an easy fit? and will it run off the flywheel's power because the bike doesn't have a battery.

It's got a horn, and number plate already, and it's been registered on the road before so i'm halfway there. :)

And eventually i'll be wanting front and rear lights for it also, anybody know where i can find those?

Please Help!

Thankyou :)

iam sure the bike will be 6v it will have a power source from magneto but you poss will need a reulator or rectifier or both best check a manual for wiring diagram ,on the other hand theres some very powerfull rechargeable bicycle lights on the market (ebay) which probably will be brighter than 6v ones

I've just put my fantic through an MOT.

All I put on it was an air horn (cable tied to the forks), a number plate and a rear reflector.

Did it pass? lol. now you're bringing a reflector into the equation! i'm sure it doesn't need a reflector but definitely needs a speedo. i guess all MOT testers are different.

I believe the 2012 revision to MOT rules now requires a (working) speedo. And if your car is due a test soon I would take a close look at the new rules (especially if you own a French car where the warning lights are on for no good reason).

No need to worry about being rear ended when you apply the brakes - it's a 70's trials bike after all. I'd be more worried about what's in front.

I believe the 2012 revision to MOT rules now requires a (working) speedo. And if your car is due a test soon I would take a close look at the new rules (especially if you own a French car where the warning lights are on for no good reason).

No need to worry about being rear ended when you apply the brakes - it's a 70's trials bike after all. I'd be more worried about what's in front.

You have a very good point! I gave it a blast down the road the other day, back brake is pretty fierce, but the front brake was useless lol. i'll sort that out for the MOT of course. and it's 1981 ;)

The fantic did pass! I was amazed no speedo was needed but two separate test centres told me I needed the same things. 1st centre was being awkward though saying the tyres weren't road leagal, even though it clearly said "in Canada and USA only". 2nd even showed me the Michelin order book which said they were legal in the uk!

Is this just for the cars though?

I made a mistake in my previous answer, a speedo doen't need to be fitted at all for the bike MOT (unless regs have been amended for 2012 as they have for cars)