Ty175 Kickstart Woes?

earthmover

Hi folks,

Been scouring this section ever since I aquired a Whitehawk framed TY 175 a couple of weeks ago. There have been a few issues with it, which I have sorted with help both from here and friends (Hi Johnny!)

One of the main bugbears is the kickstart, not staying where I put it. Now I have an idea of what it is, from comments on here, but would like some knowledgeable person or persons to confirm it.

Occasionaly after starting the bike, the kickstart returns to a place higher than it was. I first thought this was worn splines on the actual lever knuckle, but have just confirmed that it isn't. If I tap the kickstart lever forward gently, it will go forward, as if the "stop", doesn't?

Your thoughts gentlemen, please.

Cheers

Mark

Hi If what your saying is that the kickstart goes past the point at which it started, then this was a common fault. The kick start gear is only pressed onto the shaft and after years of kicking and abuse moves round on the shaft, A lot were that bad that the came forward and punched a hole in the casing, this was also common. If this is the problem there are two ways to fix it, either weld the gear on the shaft in the correct place and the grind away the excess weld or replace the shaft for a new one, Hope this helps. Also Mark

Edited by majesty320

Since repairing mine some time ago with more or less the same problems experienced here, my suggestion to starting is:

PROD the lever with a small sharp kick, dont kick the full swing to bottom of stroke, or let the lever snap return back.

Its a small bore engine with low compression, no big MX bike here, does not require a brute force of atlas to start, and can be hand started easily enough!

Now you will save the mechanism from premature failure, also let any friends riding your bike to be aware of this.

Just to wrap this one up, new kickstart shaft arrived today, excellent service from TY Trials. Fitted it this evening, job sorted! :thumbup:

For anyone who is still unsure, go to TY Trials website, follow the links through TY175 parts to the diagram of the kickstart mechanism.

If you look at the drawing of the shaft, at the opposite end to the splines there is a cast piece loosely resembling a number 6.

This is the piece that should be fixed on the shaft, when it doesn't, we get the syptoms described in the first post.

And just in case anyone thinks, as I did, that you can do it without dropping the oil by laying the bike on its side, then have plenty of rags handy. There is now a large stain on my garage floor as testament to the error of my ways. :wacko:

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1