Are They Any Good?

old trials fanatic

A beamish in action at our trial on the 26th February

http://www.southenddmcc.org.uk/images/20120226/sdmcctrial239.html

http://www.southenddmcc.org.uk/images/20120226/sdmcctrial098.html

Down here in the eastern centre there are 3 or 4 in regular use , mostly on the easier route although at least 1 is on the twinshock championship route.

This Trial was a Pre70 and Twinshock trial and also modern club riders. We get a good smattering of Odd bikes , there is a gorgeous Wassell with a ty175 engine fitted and also a Montesa with a yamaha engine fitted in the Twinshock class.

However as far as the Beamish goes they always seemed to solid and heavy to me with plenty of low down power but with not alot of top end and without the quick pick up of a Ty or particularly a Fantic (not good for modern twinshock trials ) maybe thats why that made such good sidecars in there day

John's BSA Exhaust is a work of art in itself , after exiting the cylinder it turns left and goes right around the cylinder and enters the back of the silencer above (i believe ) where the tailpipe exits. Johns bikes are always beautifully turned out and are ridden hard , In pre 70 events around the country.

And as for slippery this year was quite dry , now last year was slippery ! and Danbury is one of those grounds where once slippery, even a slope you would happily drive your car across in the summer becomes a real challenge .

The Beamish was designed to be a clubman bike. The idea behind the chrom frame was not for looks but for a bike that you could wash and throw in the shed until next weekend without the paint on the frame rusting. 30 years after they were built it seems that most frames are still in a pretty good condition so I would say they achieved their aim. This is not my view, this came from a conversation a couple of years ago with Nick Beamish.

There are some very talented riders out there still getting results on a Beamish but to be fair they would probably gwet the same result on a C15! I can atest to the fact that most Beamish are 'garage queens' and owned for their aesthetic or nostalgic value as opposed to the trials capability.

Are they any good? Depends on who you ask!

John's BSA Exhaust is a work of art in itself , after exiting the cylinder it turns left and goes right around the cylinder and enters the back of the silencer above (i believe ) where the tailpipe exits. Johns bikes are always beautifully turned out and are ridden hard , In pre 70 events around the country.

Does John still ride his triumph twin? I have always admired the way he rode it, the sound always made me smile :rolleyes:

Steve.

JR & Nigel Birkett, made them ride ok :hyper:

Yes true, but they could ride!... they'd have made a Honda C90 work too!

Must be some reason that Suzukis end up with half a bath tub and a stabiliser wheel attached to one side of them!

• Like 1

Not had mine very long but I reckon after a bit of fine tuning I'll be as happy with it as I was with my TY? It's a bit more of a handful than what I've had in the past (Mont, Fantic & Yam) but still very enjoyable to ride. Traction is better than my 2011 Gasser but that's probably more to do with the carburation being way off (on the Beamish that is)!

Like a Big Mac and strawberry shake - I'm lovin it :)

GJ :wacko: